LHD/RHD conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delvis

Reaction score
I have found my dream bus that is perfect except 1 point, it’s LHD
Apart from a RHD beam a welder and a hole saw what else would I need?
What parts are interchangeable?
How difficult is it?
TIA

What's wrong with a lhd bus?
Beams aren't handed by the way.
Pedals, dash and pod, gear stick, steering box and idler arm all need to be swapped as well.
Nothing particularly wrong with LHD, it just doesn’t work for me.
Are any of the parts you listed handed, or is it a case of reversing them on the other side?

Buy your dream bus then not a lhd you don’t want. Sorry but it’s ridiculous not only that lhd vans are completely the same as rhd to drive

Quite a lot of work involved, chassis mods required to take the RHD pedal set up which you would need to source as they are completely different on LHD (Brake & Clutch)
RHD Steering box, Dash , dash crash pad, wiring loom extension, seat runners and a few other bits and you will end up with the sliding door on the wrong side, we've been asked to look at it before for customers.
You are potentially looking at spending £2-£3K to do it right with the cost of parts and labour costs

What's wrong with a lhd bus?
Beams aren't handed by the way.
Pedals, dash and pod, gear stick, steering box and idler arm all need to be swapped as well.
Yes, what is wrong with a LHD. I just bought, last year, my perfect bus. I wasn’t sure about purchasing as it was a LHD. I love it cause it’s different. You’re hardly going to be overtaking anything, so I would just leave it as it is. It’ll also lower the value as it’s not as it left the factory

I thought the same when I got my bus, a LHD, apart from that it was perfect..... but..

.. it is actually really ok, you get used to it being LHD quite quickly. If the conversion was straightforward maybe I would still do it but it isn't, it's s hell of a job and now I've had the bus as long as I have its become normal.

And if ever you decide to go touring in Europe your ready to roll.

Couple of little things I've added to make life easier are a little adhesive blind spot mirror and a rear view camera ensure there's no issues or concerns about visibility. (The rear view is an upgrade I'd thumbs up anyway, huge difference)

I've done some things that people said is a bit OCD on my bus so I get you on that, it's what I wanted so I did it but on this one having been there myself I'd say run the bus for a few months and see how you get on, if it still bugs you then go for it, swap, but you might be surprised and you'll be writing this post for someone else in a few years 🤣

Quite a lot of work involved, chassis mods required to take the RHD pedal set up which you would need to source as they are completely different on LHD (Brake & Clutch)
RHD Steering box, Dash , dash crash pad, wiring loom extension, seat runners and a few other bits and you will end up with the sliding door on the wrong side, we've been asked to look at it before for customers.
You are potentially looking at spending £2-£3K to do it right with the cost of parts and labour costs
Thanks that’s what I wanted to know👍

I've had my LHD bus for 11 years and have to say it's not a problem for me. I make sure that at some junctions, in order to see to the right I pull up squarer to the give way line, rather then hard over to the left as that can make it awkward to then see traffic coming.
I hope that make sense!

its much more work that just a few bot on parts, the chassis is reasonably involved, finding the parts isnt that easy, ive had both LHD and RHD, theres a difference to driving both, i would take RHD over LHD, but can and do drive both, allow a few thousands for a conversion to RHD

Latest posts