Loaning your camper out?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do I lend it out?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 90.0%

• Total voters

Loxy

Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend whether I would be willing to rent my dormobile out to them for a week in June, would you do it?
I don't think I would be able to let them use it .....

However that isn't quite the full story - My friend wants to spend a week driving in the Alps with his wife in it, my friends wife's dad (or his father-in-law if you like!) was the original owner of my van in fact he owned it for 33 years before he died and I bought it off the family(his ashes were I believe put on the back seat for a while!).
So I actually think it would be really cool for them to use it - however I am now concerned that it may not be quite as they remember it - I'm 90% back to original paint after a respray by the original owner, so it doesn't look all that tidy at the moment, its also lowered on polished Porsche cookie cutters, the front seats have been replaced by Porsche boxster heated sports seats which required the cooker to be removed from under the seat & the engine has been rebuilt to be a 1700 with 36 DRLAs and a turbo muffler with no heat exchangers and the hardboard roof lining needs replacing/tidying - Will they ever forgive me for making these changes when she sees it?

Just for good measure heres a pic of when they last went on holiday in it in the 80's:
bus80sholiday.jpg

And finally my mate admitted that every time he ever borrowed it he had problems with it - he shed half the tread on one of the original crossplies, broke down in France & he put a dent in the rear bumper which is still there :lol:

So what do I do ?

I wouldn't lend my van to ANYONE and let very few in fact only about 3 people i trust to drive it.

I appreciate the family attachment etc but in the end of the day it's a classic vehicle with it's own little intricacies, he will end up hating it if he does borrow it, let him hold onto his previous good memories of family trips away! ;)

Just my 2p worth :mrgreen:

i would go for the......u can use it but you need to pay for me to come with u and look after the bus.that way u get rent for the bus wages for caretaker and a free holiday :mrgreen:

i wouldent lend mine out,no way

I'd be a nervous wreck and I wouldn't expect anyone else would put up with all the quirks ( e.g. drum brakes, weak handbrake, carbs with no chokes, slow, loud, cold, worn erratic ignition switch etc, etc, etc.)
I love it but I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

Tell him he can spend a week in the camper if he is willing to let you spend a week with his wife. That should put it in perspective ;)

EspenX said:
Tell him he can spend a week in the camper if he is willing to let you spend a week with his wife. That should put it in perspective ;)

you value your camper that low :roll:

id be dead if she read this :mrgreen:

that's a big NO from me too.

Mine got hit by my wifes uncle once, he said that he didnt see it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: then he asked to us it for a week holiday in Scotland!!!!!!!!!! 1200 mile round trip :shock: :shock: :shock:

in the words of "zamo"........Just say NO!!!!

Hmm your in a tricky position! The answer should definately be NO but with the family connection and all that its going to be awkward saying no!

The only thing for it is to lie, the month before explain how it failed its MOT hideously so wont be ready!

ooro said:
would`t even lend mine to the missus and she owns half of it.....NO FOOKIN WAY , on yer bike :lol:

I struggle with that one and she owns ALL of it :msn4:

Ive been asked about 3 times last year and I just say its having some resto or engine work,
Problem is that old vehicles have little quirks you get used to like certain ways of starting or like with mine theres a certain way of parking when it rains to stop the sunroof leaking and that special way of opening the passenger door.
People think you can just get in and drive like a normal modern car.

i think certain members of my extended family thought that me purchasing a camper meant that they would all be able to borrow it. not a chance. what if they crashed it. people who dont own them never know how to drive them.

Good God no :mrgreen:

What if it was stolen or damaged , even if it wasn't their fault, just in their posession when it happened. :shock: Could ruin a good friendship.

Bow down gracefully with an engine failure in June :mrgreen:

i couldn't i'm sure ................. ironically though i got interested in buying one after borrowing 2 for a weekend each and really liking it. very kind people.

HMMMMMMM i can see you dilemma maybe you could compromise a bit, tell them they can have it for a week in THIS country but its not insured for european breakdown, that way if anything happens atleast you can possibly get to it or get it towed back but if they insist on going abroad then my answer would be NO

sorry but no chance for all the reasons already mentioned. you'll be tearing your hair out with worry if you do. cant they just hire one somewhere?

johnny

Latest posts