Loose Wire Ignition?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genchy

Reaction score
For a while now i have had an intermittent starting problem. When i turn the ignition key the dash lights come on but there is no connection to start the motor. However sometimes it just turns no problem.

This morning it started okay, but this afternoon it wouldn't start at all until a put pressure on the wiring behind the steering column.

Has anyone else had this, is it a common problem?

Is it easy enough to remove the steering column and check the solder/connections to the ignition.

I have Haynes and John Muir so will take a look, just thought i would try you guys as you suffer the pains of VW ownership every day :lol:

Cheers

Kev

This could also be the starter motor. This is because allot of time the bushes etc in the starter motor don`t line up when turned off and you can get lights come up on the dash and no starter sound.

Check the wiring and sort if needed.

If the wiring was at fault then all cool, but if still the same problem. What you can do is when this happens, put the van in gear and rock it backwards and forwards a couple of times and try it again.

If still no joy, get a hammer or big spanner (this is not a lie I promise) and go under your van, find the starter motor and hit it fairly hard on the main body of it, then retry.

I had to do this for most of my vans, luckily after I got a new starter for my current van it has never happened again and this was about 5 years ago. :D

The other option is if you have an immobilsor installed it may not be working correctly and you may have to change it. (have had this exact problem aswell and was sorted when immobilsor removed).

Hope this helps. :wink:

Thanks Easy, I will give them a try. i do think that it is the ignition though as when i put pressure on the wiring behind the steering column it starts.

I understand that it is a tricky job taking out the barrel and steering column section, have you done this?

Thanks again,

Kev

Just to let you guys know that the job is done and it was bloody tricky, decided against going for the push button starter though as i got a grow up from the girlfriend :roll:

The ignition loom was original and had seen better days, so i replaced it and while i was there i decided to change the barrel as well :wink:

This was a nightmare as you need to get a piece of wire into the back of the steering coloumn in order to release it.............

It's now in great shape and no starting problems, hurrah :D

Thanks for your help dudes

Kev

Glad it went OK - great piece of mind knowing that the loom is fresh.
Good job dude! (by the way, I might well get a 'grow up' from my wife when the time comes...)
;)

Latest posts