LPG conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollatine

Reaction score
Has anyone got engine based positive feedback on converting to LPG?
I want to do it and save money, but Jacks say it will kill the engine. What do you all say?

Remember that Lpg is a lot hotter running fuel. Just do your homework. Then
decide if that's the way to go. I eventually decided against it. Check out other forums
and what they say. You will be amazed at how many vehicles have had them removed.

Been running LPG for about 3 years now without any issues. Not noticed the engine running hotter and reliability has been spot on. If you are going for stock oil bath filter and carb then pick up a blos LPG carb, much easier to get running correctly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Been running LPG on the bug for about 6 months- Turned a £14 commute into an £8 commute... engine doesn't run noticably hotter, power is *slightly* less, engine runs a little quieter, and filling it up is a hoot- makes a swooooosh noise when you finish, which makes you feel ace.

Lol - yep the filling noise is great :lol:
Had my westy since 2010 and came with fitted 8) runs great, id say very tiny loss in power but not so youd notice generally, 74.9 per litre round here! Mine is running a flashlube system too which helps lube the valves etc, but that you just top up every so often and it does the rest for you :msn4: i have a 45 litre tank under the r+r bed!
One thing ive noticed is that it takes a few more turns to start on gas, where as its on the button on petrol, mine has a pre-heat probe mounted into the exhaust so i guess it has to get going 8)

yes - totally recommend this lpg conversion - our 71/72 bay (1600TP, stock carb + exhaust etc) is only running on lpg now, I buy at 71p/litre on most forecourts and also on account with Countrywide Farmers (with their own 24/7 self-serve auto gas outlets at most of their stores now). also across Europe auto gas is readily available, on most autoroutes and in main towns.

I got my conversion done by Steve at Gasure in Chester - 55l cylindrical tank fitted under rear seat in a Devon Caravette without mods to the nice oak veneer!! this takes up some storage space, admittedly, but this has not proved an issue so far.

I have installed a Blos lpg mixer unit to replace the gas diffuser ring which Steve had fitted - this enables the stock oil bath air filter to be used and also gives much better gas supply and engine performance - following really helpful advice from Adam (67westy) on here.
I get about 5 miles per litre on the lpg, which costwise = about 9 miles per litre on petrol - not complaining with that!! - also good to know that the emissions are way cleaner, the engine oil stays cleaner longer, etc.

have had no maintenance issues, the engine actually runs better on lpg, with better torque, and on a long run the oil temp stays lower than it would it on petrol, so am not sure where this chat about issues with hotter running comes from?
The exhaust system I have is the VW Heritage stainless to stock design, the lpg pre-heat probe is drilled into one of the exhaust pipes and welded, this has been OK.

routine inspection of gas pipes and joints and the necessary air vents from the tank storage space is about all the maintenance that is needed. on the injection systems there is a gas filter that needs annual renewal, but not nec on the carb systems.
I don't have the Flashlube system as was advised that not needed on this set up. I don't know why!!

would be good to have a list of people on this Forum with lpg systems and their tips and hints. e.g. I am interested in an upgrade to 1776 but would be keen to keep the stock single carb, Blos valve and oil bath air filter - does anyone have experience of lpg on an engine other than the 1600?
(I also run an Audi 80 2.0E on lpg (this is an injection system) and have had no probs at all in 5 years...)

hope that helps!
cheers, Rob

Not VW but VAG.
I run an Audi A8 with LPG (last 18 months) with no problems what so ever.
The difference with mine to what I have read above is that this always starts on petrol so no issues with cranking it over.
Once the temp has been reached it automatically switches to LPG (you don't notice).

I have also read that the MPG goes down by around 15% and LPG does burn at a higher temp, but at around 70p to 75p per litre, makes the car reasonable to run (probably as cheap as it's diesel equivalent!!)

For the mileage I would do in the van, I don't think the cost of the conversion would be paid back for the time I have the van to be honest - bit like the difference in the cost of a diesel car over a petrol car and the time it takes to recoup the cost back (modern diesels have to have the DPF which is a great scam!!!!)

That's my 2 pence worth :mrgreen:

We all say we don't do enough miles to fork out for a lpg conversion but if people do keep a van for years then eventually it would be cost effective as all them miles do add up. Plus if you have a good strong motor then it will stay stronger in the long run as oil and plugs stays cleaner for much longer, less emissions, no acid build up in you oil that pits the internals.
Between me and my dad we have owned 3 vehicles on lpg and had nothing but good luck. Our van has a 1776 with twin carbs and will get the lpg treatment when i save a bit more cash. Don't forget it is removable if you sell the van later on,or it could be a selling point as fuel will rise again!!!!
Maybe people would use there vans more often if they were cheaper to run, and who wouldn't want to see a early bay every day 8) 8) 8)

dont think the engine really likes it from what i've heard, but then as this post says, some people have em with no problem. 10 years from now they are gonna make us convert all cars to battery anyway :roll:

I swear by my LPG conversion - the bus runs much nicer and it means I have no qualms popping out for a long jaunt any time I fancy. I would say go for it in a heartbeat - It is the best addition we have made to our bus by a mile. I'm not sure where you're based but if you fancy having a look let me know. Seriously. It's amazing.

robjarman said:
yes - totally recommend this lpg conversion - our 71/72 bay (1600TP, stock carb + exhaust etc) is only running on lpg now, I buy at 71p/litre on most forecourts and also on account with Countrywide Farmers (with their own 24/7 self-serve auto gas outlets at most of their stores now). also across Europe auto gas is readily available, on most autoroutes and in main towns.

I got my conversion done by Steve at Gasure in Chester - 55l cylindrical tank fitted under rear seat in a Devon Caravette without mods to the nice oak veneer!! this takes up some storage space, admittedly, but this has not proved an issue so far.

I have installed a Blos lpg mixer unit to replace the gas diffuser ring which Steve had fitted - this enables the stock oil bath air filter to be used and also gives much better gas supply and engine performance - following really helpful advice from Adam (67westy) on here.
I get about 5 miles per litre on the lpg, which costwise = about 9 miles per litre on petrol - not complaining with that!! - also good to know that the emissions are way cleaner, the engine oil stays cleaner longer, etc.

have had no maintenance issues, the engine actually runs better on lpg, with better torque, and on a long run the oil temp stays lower than it would it on petrol, so am not sure where this chat about issues with hotter running comes from?
The exhaust system I have is the VW Heritage stainless to stock design, the lpg pre-heat probe is drilled into one of the exhaust pipes and welded, this has been OK.

routine inspection of gas pipes and joints and the necessary air vents from the tank storage space is about all the maintenance that is needed. on the injection systems there is a gas filter that needs annual renewal, but not nec on the carb systems.
I don't have the Flashlube system as was advised that not needed on this set up. I don't know why!!

would be good to have a list of people on this Forum with lpg systems and their tips and hints. e.g. I am interested in an upgrade to 1776 but would be keen to keep the stock single carb, Blos valve and oil bath air filter - does anyone have experience of lpg on an engine other than the 1600?
(I also run an Audi 80 2.0E on lpg (this is an injection system) and have had no probs at all in 5 years...)

hope that helps!
cheers, Rob

Steve did mine, too- Decent guy. Was thinking about having a go myself, but I'm glad I didn't. Bit too steep a learning curve for something so flammable.

Out of interest, what kind of cost are we talking about then??
I know for my current daily it was £3K (but was already on when I bought the car)

check out gasure http://www.gasure.co.uk/salesac.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Steve is now quoting £899+VAT for a single carb conversion, you choose the tank you want - I paid an additional £90 odd for the Blos lpg mixer - put Blos lpg into ebay search - which I installed - I wanted this way of getting the gas into the engine so I could keep the oil bath air filter and get a better engine performance and reliability than the gas diffuser ring and pancake air filter set up which Steve installs - and I have!

so total cost is prob +/- £1k dep on what set up you choose.

Rob

Looks good :)
So - the BLOS can be used on fuel injected cars, but you wouldn't need the extra injectors added for the LPG (as is the case in my daily) so could work out cheaper to install?? Or did I read that wrong!

Cheers so far

I think mine cost about £600 but that was just parts and my dad fitting it. Was certified afterwards to cover insurance requirements.

Pretty straightforward to fit and setup, especially with the Blos

hi Andy - on a typical old skool carb like VW Solex, the set up for lpg uses a gas diffuser ring mounted on top of the carb - this supplies gas directly into the carb when the petrol supply has been cut off (temp controlled valve in a water-cooled engine, hence the auto change over from petrol to gas as the engine reaches running temp - but in the VW air cooled case, the changeover is manual with a switch at the driver's end). The gas diffuser ring on the VW Type 1 engine with Solex 34PICT3 carb does not give enough headroom for the air supply tube from the oil bath air filter to fit as well, so a thin pancake air filter has to be used instead. As we know these are inadequate and they also mean that the preheat air and oil breather tubes which the oil bath air filter has cannot be fitted, so engine warm up and performance is inhibited and carb icing might be an issue...

the Blos carb replaces the gas diffuser ring, and fits in the stock air supply pipe from the oil bath filter to the carb. It has an adjustable slider valve (like an old SU carb), so as engine vacuum increases as the throttle is opened the valve opens and increases the gas supply. It enables full flow air supply to the engine and gives a consistent mix and volume (whereas the gas diffuser ring set up is narrower than the carb and so reduces the airflow to the carb).

on an injection engine, the Blos mixer valve can be used to supply gas to the air intake ( the petrol supply to the injectors is auto cut off when the gas supply is opened) - but I believe engine performance is less than if the engine inlet manifold is drilled and gas injectors installed directly alongside the petrol injectors (this is the set up I have on my Audi 80 2.0E engine).

I have found that my engine starts on lpg, even in the cold weather, so in fact I have not run it on petrol at all for some time now! when the original gas diffuser ring was fitted by Gasure, it would not start on gas on cold and would not idle properly, so the engine had to be switched over to petrol before the engine was turned off and even before coming to a rest at traffic lights etc - that was a real pain!! with the Blos mixer I don't get these problems at all...

I'll see if I can put some pics up of the Blos carb installation on my engine - Adam (67westy) has some as well I think!

cheers
rob

We used Campershak who work with Gasure and I'm really happy with their work. I'm not sure if I have a Blos thingy :oops: but Clara starts, stops, idles and does everything on gas. It's only if we run out that we switch back to petrol (and I hate that!)

Thanks Rob - a great explanation of how it is setup and works :D

If you only every use LPG, could/would you remove the petrol tank and install an LPG tank in it's place, either freeing up the under seat space or even supplementing the under seat tank??
I suppose the only issue with the above idea is if you end up somewhere that is not well covered by LPG stations....... just a thought anyway!

I am hoping - when I get the van roadworthy, to fit dual carbs, so the BLOS units should fit OK as they are usually lower down then the standard carb?? - interesting to know if anyone has done this?

Cheers (sorry for hi-jacking the thread :oops: )

Here's a (poor quality) pic of the Blos in place, I used some silicone reducer pipe with a couple of metal couplers to fit it inline with the air intake hose. I think this was the initial attempt which was improved upon later...

IMG_20110505_212023.jpg

And the rest of the kit (minus tank)

IMG_20110505_212101.jpg

I think I figured out that I needed 10-12k miles to repay the cost of the LPG kit and this was when petrol was cheaper. I'm pretty sure I'm in "profit" now.

gninnam said:
If you only every use LPG, could/would you remove the petrol tank and install an LPG tank in it's place, either freeing up the under seat space or even supplementing the under seat tank??
I suppose the only issue with the above idea is if you end up somewhere that is not well covered by LPG stations....... just a thought anyway!

I am hoping - when I get the van roadworthy, to fit dual carbs, so the BLOS units should fit OK as they are usually lower down then the standard carb?? - interesting to know if anyone has done this?

I would happily lose the petrol tank for LPG, I think with a larger tank it's much easier to plan around LPG stations. The tank I currently have is a 42 litre (i think) vertical toroidal tank hidden in the back section of the westy wardrobe. Even with this relatively small tank I rarely have to run on petrol and if I do it's generally down to me being lazy and not filling up when I can :)

I have given some thought to a twin carb setup in the past and I think two blos should work ok. I was trying to figure out if it could work a single one feeding both carbs but I think this would eliminate much of the benefit of the twin carb setup.

Thanks for the pictures - clears it up a bit :)

I think you are right and you would need 2 BLOS units if you have twin carbs - wonder how the fueling would work in this instance.

Latest posts