Mechanicals best resto order

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
How do quick question regarding restoring bus, best order to do things in.

Its a driveway resto and this year I intend to hopefully have it running by the autumn. Bus will be stationary till sep/oct

Bodywork/Paint/Windows done, and electrics will be done by feb.

The mechanics will be spread out over spring/summer/early autumn to spread the cost/time.

What's the best order to do steering/brakes/suspension/engine-drivetrain in?

Eg. I don't want to overhaul my brakes in march to find out they've seized in September due to sitting in the same place, but at the same time thought itd be pointless doing the engine first if I cant stop when testing it!

if you are lowering it, id do suspension and brakes as a set (i.e build up a narrowed beam with all refurbed/ new stuff then swap the beams complete.)
steering will have to be disconnected to remove the beam so sort steering box, track rods etc then reconnect everything once you have your beam back in.
rear brakes whenever you fancy (mayaswell do them once the beam is in with its new disks etc)
then gear linkage (as this goes through the front beam so not worth doing untill you have swapped beams if you are doing)
then fit the box and the engine
then go for a drive

this is exactly what i'm doing at the moment, i have most of the bits collected just wiring up first :)

hope this helps
sam

Not lowering it but removing the beam is a good idea, will do entire front setup in shed the just bolt back on. Great anti theft device having no front of van on either!

Webbaldo said:
Not lowering it but removing the beam is a good idea, will do entire front setup in shed the just bolt back on. Great anti theft device having no front of van on either!

Didn't realise you had super hero strength Marc :lol:
It's a heavy lump mate.

DubBGood2Me said:
Webbaldo said:

It's a heavy lump mate.

Just a bit, ended up dropping the hubs and spindles back off of mine so I could lift it up....

DubBGood2Me said:
Webbaldo said:

It's a heavy lump mate.

Humm can two people put it back on? Might strip it to remove then bolt finished thing back on in one piece?

Webbaldo said:
DubBGood2Me said:
Webbaldo said:

It's a heavy lump mate.

Humm can two people put it back on? Might strip it to remove then bolt finished thing back on in one piece?

That's the better idea. Strip it down on the bus which you can do on your own. You will just need a jack to lower the beam.

Then you will need a hand to put it back in as a whole unit. Give me a shout when you want to put it back in and i'll give you a hand. Aslong as it's not snowing at your place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts