Midnight delivery

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will use this thread as a build thread and to give a little bit of background info on the bus, my understanding is that this bus spent the past few years/decades in a junk yard in the Nevada dessert.

that is where Roland found it, bought it and shipped it to his place of business in Belgium where he then did a bit of work on it

that's when I contacted Rolands bus farm as I was looking for an early bay to buy as I sold my old panel van almost 4 years ago and was desperate to get back into the VW scene. He suggested this bus and within 4 days I was at his workshop to view it. needless to say I bought it :D

it needed some work done before it left Rolands bus farm and I wanted afew extra parts to be delivered with it

its windscreen was cracked and the rubber was cracked and shrunk, so a new window and deluxe rubber was fitted and any rust under the rubber was treated while it was out.

the battery tray was the only area we could find that had to be welded so they got that sorted for me

and a engine was needed

Plus a few upgrade parts where also supplied, which I will post up as I get round to fitting them :msn4:

so today I had a whole day to look through it and start stripping it down in the pissing rain

Im not an expert but it seems quite original and unmolested

but the the body work has been battered and bodged

That's all for now at least I will update when I can and would just like to say a big thanks to Roland for sorting it all out for me, he really hooked me up on this one and I would highly recommend Rolands bus farm :D

Looks like a really good project Greg , love a Delta Green Bus ,

Nice that the rear is a blank canvass 8)

thanks man its been killing me not being able to post about it, didn't want to jump the gun and post before I took delivery of it. its been ages since I have seen any of the early bayers, hope your well, would be good to catch up at a show :)

interior wise I want to source an original westie interior but got a ways to go before it is ready for that.

Looks like an easy project :roll:
Good luck and will be watching :msn4:

Follow Roland and his Bus Farm on Instagram, always seems to have loads of cool stuff

A bit of an update, past few weeks I've been working my way through the bus cleaning it striping it down and prepairing it for refit

Almost all rubber and plastic is unusable and needs replacing, I have replaced all the door apertures

and the cab window rubber is about to be replaced. It's not just the exposed rubber that is shot but even things like the steering coupling are unusable and the usual fuel filler rubber.

This is why you need to check your fuel lines

The plastic tabs that holds the speedo and warning lights in had all snapped so the glass was rattling around in the dash when I took delivery of it so had to get creative in refitting them

Rebuilt the locks and got new keys sorted and new seals for all the handles, the sliding door is still awaiting parts but is almost in a usable condition again.

Steering column and ignition housing had been beaten to hell and I have done what I can to repair these parts and get them in a usable condition

Still have a lot todo before I can get it back on the road and I have these to fit yet

and got a new beam to match

Thanks for stopping by will have more to follow

Wow, that's a great looking bus. Always the best feeling when a transporter shows up!

Small update,
Refitted steering column after repairing the steering lock and fitting fresh coupling rubber. The steering wheel is also in the middle of repair after it fell apart during strip down.

Fitted uk legal head light units and got some new fly mesh in after finding the old one had completely disintegrated

Ordered fresh fuel rubber and cleaned up the fire wall and tank ready for refit

Not the most exciting update but will hopefully have some more interesting updates once I have sourced my new wheels.

Fuel tank is back in all clean with fresh rubber and fresh wax ready for another 40 odd years hopefully lol

Before

After

Getting these back on was a bit of an arse

Next up is a degrease and full clean of the rest of the engine bay and fitting of fresh rubbers for the cab windows. That is probably it before volksworld where I am hoping to source some of the parts I am having trouble finding.

Another small update.

Not had a lot of time working on the bus recently as I havnt had much free time and have been concentrating on sourcing the parts I need.

What I have done though is repair my steering wheel after it disintegrated while I removed it

It's far from perfect but I am pleased with how it turned out and is much better than binning it.

I have sourced some old mirrors since my rear view mirror collapsed and I was missing one wing mirror and the other I broke as it was seized. I sourced a late rear view mirror and fitted it to my early long mirror arm which again I'm pleased with as I wasn't sure it would work.

And finally I managed to source part of an original westfalia which needs a bit of love and work but should be ok. Just need the sink unit and table now plus afew handels and straps.

It also came with front seats that are way more usable than my original ones

That's it for now, roll on volksworld :D

Latest posts