Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the look of your travels with the red campervan. Looks so relaxing and enjoyable.

Latest Munro bagging trip in Scotland. Monty was great off grid camping. Managed to add another 10 munro's to the list in the week.
I did meet up with some walking friends in Aviemore for the weekend, and then stayed on for a couple more nights until the weather changed on Tuesday.

Since the fan belt problems, caused by the broken pulley wheel, and the carb linkage popping off, I haven't had any problems at all. The engine is as reliable as ever, around 27mpg the odd 1/2 litre of oil to add, solid as a rock.

181.JPG
Ben Lawers 1214m

132.JPG112.JPG122.JPG180.JPG194.JPG206.JPG202.JPG

I really like your set up with the extended tent from the vehicle. Looks as if a great time was had by all.

Great pics Mike, we have a similar set up for longer stays / festivals etc. Gutted we’re not not going to Tribfest in Driffield this year, but it’s a bit of a trek now we’re in North Wales. Beer Tent is my favourite place too 👍

Oil change time. I also decided to try a billet ally oil filler, and removed the stock filler. Hope the VW gods are not too dismayed with the change! 😅
I used the Empi tool to remove the stock filler and it worked well. I hope the new mini filter stays in one piece as the last one came apart.

58E29E43-05E8-4593-BD19-1299DB4B035D.jpegB94ABBF7-3751-4462-B5A0-FA538C4CECFA.jpeg

The full flow oil filter hose had a slight drip coming from the join to the barb. It has got slightly worse over a couple of years when I first notice it and was dripping onto the mud flap.
I changed the hose and hope this stays dry.

7B9AAAEF-AAB5-4D67-BD05-EBCBF3A3E118.jpeg
Old leaky hose

3F4EB814-CD3B-4CB2-BFF1-413731B1A772.jpeg
New hose fitted.

F527BD86-1F1A-45A4-888A-2EE2D3A1CBBD.jpeg
Had to cable tie the oil hose to the moustache bar to stop them touching the exhaust.

🤣 I did the exact opposite, removing the billet filler and fitting an original Inc rubber beak when I fitted the twins a while back. Yes that Empi tool is good, worked a treat 👍

Oil change time. I also decided to try a billet ally oil filler, and removed the stock filler. Hope the VW gods are not too dismayed with the change! 😅
I used the Empi tool to remove the stock filler and it worked well. I hope the new mini filter stays in one piece as the last one came apart.

View attachment 6335View attachment 6336

The full flow oil filter hose had a slight drip coming from the join to the barb. It has got slightly worse over a couple of years when I first notice it and was dripping onto the mud flap.
I changed the hose and hope this stays dry.

View attachment 6337
Old leaky hose

View attachment 6338
New hose fitted.

View attachment 6339
Had to cable tie the oil hose to the moustache bar to stop them touching the exhaust.
Just a couple of things Mike, firstly that oil breather will leave a fine oil mist all over the rhs of your engine bay after a long run. It's better to fit a vent hose into the carb air filter as these engines were designed to run with negative crankcase pressure.
Secondly, I'd change those plastic cable ties for some stainless steel ones if you can. The plastic cable ties aren't designed for that application, I can send you a couple of long stainless ties for the cost of postage.

Just a couple of things Mike, firstly that oil breather will leave a fine oil mist all over the rhs of your engine bay after a long run. It's better to fit a vent hose into the carb air filter as these engines were designed to run with negative crankcase pressure.
Secondly, I'd change those plastic cable ties for some stainless steel ones if you can. The plastic cable ties aren't designed for that application, I can send you a couple of long stainless ties for the cost of postage.
Thanks for the info. I will see how it goes and may fit a hose to the top of the carb filter. The previous set up i had the hose fitted to the base of the filter and it dripped oil and made a mess.

Changed the cable ties to steel ones, as advised by sparkywig above. The cable ties are doing their job of keeping the oil lines away from the exhaust 👍
Done a few miles and all good so far, although no long journeys yet. Seem to be constantly busy with DIY repairs at home at the moment which I enjoy, but not as much as trips away in the bus 😂🤙

The last day we loaded the campervan and I turned the ignition - nothing! The starter motor has apparently died well we made it home with one stop for fuel. Fortunately I had three helpers to push start the van. Had no warning in the week at all, so will be looking at this this week. Also as predicted there is a haze of oil from the little filter over the fan shroud so will also be re-jigging this arrangement!

Great pics Mike and glad you got back safely 👍 Not quite as envious this time as currently sat on a beach in Zadar Croatia, thinking what it would take to get down here in Winnie 👍

Last edited:

Latest posts