MOT or not MOT

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
i know there was discussion about the age of historic vehicles needing or not needing an MOT.
Did this get approval???
do i need to MOT every year, i know for safety reasons yes but is it still a legal requirement or as a 1969 bus im exempt?

From 20th May 18 I dont think you do - if its due before then it needs one to be driven on the road

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mot-exemption-cars-over-40-years-old-arrives-may-2018

StuF said:
From 20th May 18 I dont think you do - if its due before then it needs one to be driven on the road

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mot-exemption-cars-over-40-years-old-arrives-may-2018
I'm still trying to decide if dropped spindles and adjustable spring plates are a substantial change. And if they are would they have been made when in "general use". I think it will fall into general use......

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sandy71 said:
Will I need an MOT to register an American bus after that date?

I’d be interested to find this out too. I haven’t seen a definitive answer anywhere relating to a freshly imported vehicle. Yes if it has previously been registered then the new rules would apply but not sure.

DubBGood2Me said:
Sandy71 said:
Will I need an MOT to register an American bus after that date?

I’d be interested to find this out too. I haven’t seen a definitive answer anywhere relating to a freshly imported vehicle. Yes if it has previously been registered then the new rules would apply but not sure.

Have a read of the this thread from VZI - someone there was able to register a MOT exempt Willys Jeep without having it tested and drive on the road legally. If you wait till after the May 20th date it should be a straightforward process (relatively) to get it on the road.

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1557162&highlight=mot+an+import

Has anyone read anywhere under what circumstances you will or won't need an MOT? Who makes that call regarding the grey area around modifications? Funnily enough, I've just looked at my MOT due date this year... 21st May! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone know for sure if this MOT exemption stand alone from tax exemption?

My van is tax exempt due to being a historic vehicle tax classification. However I'm fairly sure it will need an MOT due to modifications this doesn't really bother me as MOT TIME is kind of a pre season ritual now for me anyways. Does the fact that its not a historic vehicle MOTwise mean I could lose the free tax to? As would be a blow to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As of the 20th May 18 all vehicles built before 1978 will be MOT exempt unless substantially modified.
Will leave the interpretation of that down to individuals who choose whether or not to MOT their own vehicle.

Tax free status has no bearing on the MOT so if you decide to get your bus tested you won’t be required to pay for tax.
If you don’t MOT your exempt bus and it isn’t roadworthy and you get inspected by a VOSA checkpoint I imagine your vehicle will be impounded/towed/removed from use.

Safety first peeps.

If its not modified then no MOT or TAX needed, but you need to declare it a HV at the post office when your tax is next due, you cant do it online the first time if you don't want an MOT

This year Ill be getting mine tested anyway, its coming out of storage 1st April and I'm not wasting 2 months of nice weather just to wait until it doesn't need an MOT. Expires in feb.

Next year we'll see.

No mot’s, Fucking ridiculous idea. It’s all very well and good for someone who’s mechanically minded and knows about cars but someone who’s naive and doesn’t do maintance themsleves means lots of classic cars are gonna be driven around without inspection and worn components aren’t going to be noticed.

There is dangerous shit heaps on the road as it is this is only going to increase if people know they don’t need to meet the minimum standard of road worthiness.

K@rlos said:
No mot’s, Fucking ridiculous idea. It’s all very well and good for someone who’s mechanically minded and knows about cars but someone who’s naive and doesn’t do maintance themsleves means lots of classic cars are gonna be driven around without inspection and worn components aren’t going to be noticed.

There is dangerous shit heaps on the road as it is this is only going to increase if people know they don’t need to meet the minimum standard of road worthiness.

Kinda my thoughts as well.

I always do a more 'thorough than MOT' inspection myself at the start of each season but a second pair of eyes always help. And what about all the wrecks on ebay that people buy with no mechanical knowledge?

K@rlos said:

Yep very very true - ive seen a few very questionable mot exempt vehicles at shows that have been driven there on the roads where there are large sections of the floor missing, clearly dangerous and unsecured braking components/lines and badly repaired or not repaired chassis pieces and so on.

But its cool and scene init! :roll:

Clem has previously posted that despite a large proportion of Splitty owners stating they would continue to get their buses MOT'd following the exemption only 6% followed through on it.

Time will tell and I am sure there will be a few more fire damaged buses this summer from owners not carrying out the most basic of maintenance after the winter period layup

I know they aren't as likely to blow up, but the amount of classic morris/triumphs/minis etc been driven by 40-60 somethings with cracked fuel lines in engine bays I seen last year was ridiculous. When I asked most of them had never even heard of ethanol etc.

That's a thing though, when MOT'ing a bus for example, the tester may open the engine lid to check battery security, but he has no requirement to check anything else. Of course, a competent, or nosey, tester may notice or check an insecure or cracked fuel line, but he has no remit to, and a fresh MOT means nothing in this regard.
In fact, someone buying a bus that has a fresh MOT may end up with a FALSE sense of security that they have a 'good to go' bus for a year. Someone may take a bus out of storage, get it MOT'd and be happy they can just crack on for the summer as long as it has fuel in the tank and air in the tyres ...

Anyone who has a 40+ year old vehicle should have a word with themselves and decide if they are capable and competent enough to run it themselves and if they have any doubt they should be employing a garage or mechanic, and not just for strict MOT concerns. Whether we have test exemption shouldn't alter this.

I genuinely think there is a much higher risk on our roads by the people who drive end of life bangers (15 year old motors bought with a bit of MOT to run into the ground) -Cars that are well equipped enough to provide high performance and comfortable enough to make the driver think that all is well, but can be absolute hanging death traps that need scrapping asap.

I am happy to put my bus through a strict MOT as I know it will pass, so much so I’d willingly take any of my cars to a VOSA/DVSA testing facility just to prove the point.

This will come back to bite people, as the police can still pull vehicles over and fine the owners for driving vehicles which are not safe. Or worse have a bad accident....

But never mind, they are saving £45 a year :roll:

Clem said:
That's a thing though, when MOT'ing a bus for example, the tester may open the engine lid to check battery security, but he has no requirement to check anything else. Of course, a competent, or nosey, tester may notice or check an insecure or cracked fuel line, but he has no remit to, and a fresh MOT means nothing in this regard.
In fact, someone buying a bus that has a fresh MOT may end up with a FALSE sense of security that they have a 'good to go' bus for a year. Someone may take a bus out of storage, get it MOT'd and be happy they can just crack on for the summer as long as it has fuel in the tank and air in the tyres ...

Anyone who has a 40+ year old vehicle should have a word with themselves and decide if they are capable and competent enough to run it themselves and if they have any doubt they should be employing a garage or mechanic, and not just for strict MOT concerns. Whether we have test exemption shouldn't alter this.

I genuinely think there is a much higher risk on our roads by the people who drive end of life bangers (15 year old motors bought with a bit of MOT to run into the ground) -Cars that are well equipped enough to provide high performance and comfortable enough to make the driver think that all is well, but can be absolute hanging death traps that need scrapping asap.

Wholly agree with this.

I think the majority of historic car owners are indeed as per the government guidance - ones that probably take more care over the upkeep of their cars than a 40-minute MOT test could allow for inspection. Those that choose to use the exemption as a way of purposely dodging much-needed repairs will hopefully be in a small minority. Let's not forget that even in the current situation, there's unscrupulous MOT testers who will just write a ticket without barely casting an eye over the vehicle they should be testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I think the whole idea is a very poor one, for all the reasons listed in posts above. However I also agree with what has been said that people who drive and maintain these old vehicles should take stock of themselves and decide whether they are competent enough to maintain the vehicle to a roadworthy standard without the independent annual check.

I have been doing my own mechanics since I was 17 (too many years ago now) and have rebuilt and brought back to life a few old VW's over the years and still occasionally I have missed something that the MOT tester has picked up. Nothing major I hasten to add! So, in my view an independent pair of eyes could be invaluable in keeping our vehicles safe, especially when you may not have access to a pit or lift so checking underneath outside in a cold and windy driveway is not so easy! Just my thoughts!

I will be MOTing the van. There is no such thing as an accident these days, there is always culpability. So if you rear end someone or knock someone over and the police see that you have no MOT and check your vehicle to find it not road worthy then your going down. Now an MOT does not stop this happening but as stated the fresh eyes looking over your pride and joy stops things getting to bad. I have an advisory for corrosion on brake lines. Now is this because I changed one so it looked brand spankers next to the others or are they actually corroded. I'm not taking the chance so I am changing them. Also how long before the insurance company hike your premium or refuse to pay out in an accident because you van was not roadworthy.

Latest posts