My 1970 Dormobile story so far

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the coments dudes,I'm glad you like it.I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.I just want to get it all back together now and start using it again :D .
I need to order a load of parts to finish it,mainly new window seals.I'm really busy with work this week, I was hoping to get a bit more done.Last monday I had little work booked in then it all just piled up and I'm overbooked right now,the joys of self employment.To be honest I haven't noticed a slow down at all in work since this credit crunch,if anything I'm busier!
Also I'm thinking about either going to bug jam in the car or working on the bus this weekend.I could get loads done to my Dormy or on the other hand I could relax and maybe find a few parts I need :?:

Done a few bits here and there over the last week or so.Fitted the sliding door 1/4 glass and 3/4 glass along with the handle which is in good condition.Also fitted up the front lights with new rims and lenses.Frtont indicators also and the badge.The wheels got a bare metal treatment,2 pack primered and painted in vw cream white (L90H) Same treatment to the bumpers and petrol cap.Although I've worked out my rear bumper is actually a crossover bumper as the holes are further apart.Someone had drilled new holes in to match.There where about 6/7 holes that shouldn't have been there.So I welded over the drilled holes and I'm going to space out the bracket to match the original holes until I find the proper fitting one.For the wheels I decided not to take the tyres right off as they have been replaced and balanced properly which is a pain on these wide 5's.So I marked where the weights where,took the tyre off the beading of the wheel so it was off the rim,then masked up and was able to get them painted right under the lips too.

27072009222.jpg

27072009221.jpg

27072009216.jpg

27072009217.jpg

27072009220.jpg

It's been another month now and things are looking up now.I've got most of the windows in,put the engine in,got the canvass on the top of the pop top (still to fit it to the roof though).Also I've stripped the flaking paint from the pop top hoops and etch primed them.I've reconditioned another rear opening quarter by stripping about 3 of them apart and choosing the best bits,etch priming the frame and painting it satin black.The rear interior has been removed and the seats and buddy seat have been recovered by my mother in law in cream leatherette vinyl,no pics of that bit yet.I've also done a bit more welding which I've been putting off,a couple of holes under the rear seat and the metal heater pipes had rotten and broken off,so I had to buy a length of exhaust pipe and cut/weld them in to place.Also I've been busy checking all the brakes cylinders are leak free and cleaned adjusted up (drums all round) Also replaced the right rear brake hose and metal one as it wouldn't come undone.I done the other 3 last year but this one they sent the wrong has at the time.Regreased the wheel bearings,the rear bumper has gone on.As I mentioned last time It's a crossover bumper,so I put some spacers between the bumper bracket and the mounts and it fits well.The rear light have gone on with the SWF lenses and rims from Baron (cheers dude) I've fitted normal bulbs which I painted green and they flash orange now and should be legal.In the engine bay I fitted a copper pipe which sticks out the back of the tin ware a few inches and goes just short of the fuel pump.Theres a fuel filter between the tank and copper pipe now so it should be nice and safe.I've still got to sort out the oil filler neck breather and the fan pipework and a few other small jobs in there.Also after reading on here the other day I might put an original dynamo pulley back on,or at least carry it around just in case.The engine itself I've rebuilt with T.E.S align boring the case and supplying a crankshaft and bearings,with a new 1641 barrel/pistin kit,standard cam and heads rebuilt and a weber progressive.I like the rear end view of the van now it's the best angle. ;)

29072009223.jpg

21082009260.jpg

21082009262.jpg

22082009263.jpg

19082009258.jpg

25082009266.jpg

25082009267.jpg

Superb stuff! An outstanding resto, and whilst it may have been a lot of work, its another fantastic bay saved from the scrap heap :)

Cheers, looking forward to seeing it finished :)

Thanks for the coments dudes,it's good to finally see an end in sight.
I've had another busy day getting stuff done.I turned it around yesterday and had a quick drive in the car park.So I've done stuff to the front end today.I removed the old headlining,put it against the new TMI one from earl thebay (cheers dude) and drew an outline and cut it out a bit bigger than needed.I also had to re weld the passenger side headlining grip as I damaged it taking the old lining down.I also got the old waxoyl out,heated it up and sprayed it in all the roof cavities.Also I checked that the dormobile roof up warning switch was working ok.So I was ready to fit the headlining.First I swapped the single bar needed over and hung the bar in the roof.I made some small wood wedges to hold it in place for extra security.Then I sprayed some adhesive and stuck the front edge down.Then the sides where tucked under the grips and finally the rear was stretched and stapled to the wooden support beam.It was the first time I've done this and I'm happy with the finish.Next I prepared and painted the top of the dash satin black before the windscreen went in.I also cleaned up and painted the sunvisors with a leather/vinyl light beige paint.The wiper arms where painted and fitted and also the cab door seals where fitted. I'll probably mot it on Tueday,I'm still waiting for some window seals which are coming wednesday now,but I need the MOT done quickly.

28082009273.jpg

28082009275.jpg

28082009281.jpg

28082009282.jpg

28082009284.jpg

28082009286.jpg

28082009285.jpg

Good work fella wish I'd read this before fitting my headliner struggled with the roof bar slipping etc.
How did the MOT go? You gonna make van fest :mrgreen:

It made the Mot ok,just adjusted the headlight aims because I had rebuilt them.I was quite surprised with the braking effort,very even all round and pretty good for drum brakes,so I'll leave them for now.I made it to VWAction the weekend just gone.But the gearbox got itself stuck in first gear a few miles away so the last few miles where done at 15 MPH and I got recovered back after the show,the timing was good so I probably got back quicker then driving it :lol:
I was thinking about going to vanfest,but I've still got to fix the gearbox and I haven't got a ticket.Theres a slim chance I might fix it and get a ticket,I'm not sure though.

Latest posts