my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the welding look professional, are you welding the chassis while the van is filpped on the body roller?

welding of the gods! keep that up and it will be 10 times stronger than original! neat work 8)

Johnny said:
the welding look professional, are you welding the chassis while the van is filpped on the body roller?

yes i am mate. now i am worried :shock: i hope that i havent warped anything. if i have my van will probably go round one bend better than the other. when i did the chassis i didnt cut the full centre section off, i left the top edge on and stitched the new sections on.

cheers easy. i spotted you van in volksworld, it looks awsome. i wish my van still had its bulkheads (some po removed both for swivel chairs) i love the trim in yours

andewilson said:
Johnny said:

yes i am mate. now i am worried :shock: i hope that i havent warped anything.

I was curious as i was probably gonna do it the same way, just wasnt sure if it would throw anything out of alignment. Nice job on the welding, those top hats are going nowhere :wink:

andewilson said:
Johnny said:

yes i am mate. now i am worried :shock: i hope that i havent warped anything. if i have my van will probably go round one bend better than the other. when i did the chassis i didnt cut the full centre section off, i left the top edge on and stitched the new sections on.

cheers easy. i spotted you van in volksworld, it looks awsome. i wish my van still had its bulkheads (some po removed both for swivel chairs) i love the trim in yours

cheers dood, im sure with your welding skill these can be put back in if you need to. I used to have the drivers one in place and the passenger one with a swivel in an old van 8)

Now get back to work on that bus! :wink:

i think i might put some small triangles in the corners for strength as the bloke who cut the out removed the lot :?
if i was going for a five seater id had sourced some, but im going for a pair of rear facing seats behind the two fronts as my wife wants another nipper (bringing it to four) and the reason for people storage as oppossed to full camping interior.
i'm off the centre parcs in paris in an hour or so, so the camper will be left for a week. though i did the the n/s rear suspension stripped and por15'd at work today. slow progress

back on the van this week and i over last weekend since i got back from france.

trying to get a few bits cleaned up underneath before i drop it back off the roller this saturday ready to fit the new front skin and drivers floor etc

15thjuly055.jpg

15thjuly044.jpg

15thjuly056.jpg

welded a few holes up underneath as all the heater pipework was u/s so i have decided to get rid of it

15thjuly053.jpg

15thjuly054.jpg

15thjuly052.jpg

not looking forward to replacing the plinth above the engine lid as rust seems to have eaten its fair share of the one on the van

15thjuly047.jpg

15thjuly048.jpg

15thjuly049.jpg

i've missed your updates.. thats it , no more hoolidays for you :)

hope you had a good time and good to hear you are back on the van. i'm just trying to get back into the swing of things myself. replacing the front cross section chassis part with the circular hole for heater.

keep it up mate.

Haveacamper said:

hope you had a good time and good to hear you are back on the van. i'm just trying to get back into the swing of things myself. replacing the front cross section chassis part with the circular hole for heater.

keep it up mate.

cheers. im off again at the end of august so its never guna get done at this rate. a week in a caravan in cleethorpes. just think how much progress i would get done spending it all working on the van.

are you plug welding the cross member on or running a full bead of weld on it?

andewilson said:
Haveacamper said:

keep it up mate.

cheers. im off again at the end of august so its never guna get done at this rate. a week in a caravan in cleethorpes. just think how much progress i would get done spending it all working on the van.

are you plug welding the cross member on or running a full bead of weld on it?

well i'm replacing the tophat that on top of the jacking points and the cross member too. i've made the front cross member the same way i made the rear one. pretty much the same a stock. i've made a lip that butts up to the inside face of the chassis rails and put a full seam weld on it. then i've plug welded the top hat to the cross member and seam welded the tophat to the chassis section. i have left all of these welds as they are and not ground them down.

Haveacamper said:
just wondering mate, what ware you doing for heating? i noticed you welded up the hole for the central heat riser through the cab floor. i'll be keeping this because i'm hoping to mount my propoex somehwere and plumb this in.

i,m planning quite a modern cab area so i'm losing the air pipe and air box, hand brake etc. and having a full panel across the front all the way up to the dash as opposed to two small panels as stock. as i would like to mount a sub and two 6x9 speakers in it. them i want a leather or vinyl dash with frenched glove box so i can fit two alpine fold out screens and 5.1 surround sound controler and centre speaker. one screen for the driver for the sat nav and one for the passenger so they can play a dvd. if i chose to heat the van i will simply fit a vw golf heat exchanger under the rear seat more for back ground heat. then probs a propex for camping

bit more progress on tha van.

STA72669.jpg

STA72670.jpg

STA72671.jpg

STA72672.jpg

STA72656.jpg

STA72657.jpg

STA72662.jpg

STA72663.jpg

STA72664.jpg

STA72660.jpg

STA72661.jpg

fitted both battey tray and n/s rear arch. so looking a bit mor like a van again. of to vdubbin it in lichfield tommorrow but in the last hour a bit of grinding crap has just fell out of my hair and landed in my eye. mint looks like i'll at the eye casualty before i get of to the show.

cheers mate. i would have loved to have fitted new rear tubs as you are doing but i just had to draw the line and get on with it. it will annoy me in the future i am sure. but how many people out there (bar me) who actually get their head under other peoples arrches at shows.

just got back from the hospital (for the third time in 5 months) after having my eyeball dremelled yet again.
its beginning to piss me off now. i hope my van appretiates this.

andewilson said:
just got back from the hospital (for the third time in 5 months) after having my eyeball dremelled yet again.
its beginning to piss me off now. i hope my van appretiates this.

ouch, i hope it does too! i hope you can last the rest of august without feeling the necessity to visit the hosp again

Nafe

Latest posts