My 1972 Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave M

Reaction score
JUst bought this to replace my 73 Westy,

NewBus003.jpg

NewBus001.jpg

Hopefully going to get the interior re-trimmed this year, then a full respray over the winter ready for next summer. :D

Does anyone know if it is a VW colour, & if so what the paint code is???

Dave.

wow! i almost had a crossover dormobile before i bought my bus....and everything i had planned for it would have made it look exactly like that!!! crazy!

dunno about the colour but from my screen it looks a little like turkis green/blue???

Looks like a a quality bus 8) are you gonna have just a re trim or change anything around? 8)

Just planning to re-trim the original seats (front & Back) & bed in blue & white vinyl. Any recommendations for trimmers welcome. :D

looks quality! whay are you resparaying? it loks perfect from the pics?

or do you just not like the colour?

Bit of both. We want a different shade of blue, plus the paint isn't as good as it looks in the pics. The van's solid but the roof has a few dents & is crap finish. The blue is very thin & flat but looks better after a cut & polish. It'll do for this year, but will be back in 2009 brighter & with a little more shine.

Finally got my arse in gear & started work on the oil leaks ready for the summer. Stuck it up on ramps ready to pull the engine & heard a horrible grinding from the front :( . Got out to check & found the front tow hook had dug a nice groove in my drive.
:oops:
dorm002.jpg

New crank seal is fitted, just need a new o-ring so I can re-fit the flywheel & get the motor back in (bought two from GSF but they're both the wrong size :? )

While I've been stuck indoors over the weekend I had a dig through the paperwork that came with my bus & found the original service book (with loads of stamps) & the original Dormobile manual. This had some interesting camping tips in it :D

books001.jpg

books002.jpg

Dave M said:
While I've been stuck indoors over the weekend I had a dig through the paperwork that came with my bus & found the original service book (with loads of stamps) & the original Dormobile manual. This had some interesting camping tips in it :D

books001.jpg

books002.jpg

Cool, got the same paperwork with my 72 dormobile, even got a free service voucher in the punch card booklet, often wonder about nipping into a vw dealership to see if they will honour it :lol:

I haven'y got any free service cards left :( , but I have got afree VW diagnosis check voucher in the punch card book :D .

I've often thought of popping into my local VW dealer with it just to see the look on their face when I ask.

Dave M said:
I haven'y got any free service cards left :( , but I have got afree VW diagnosis check voucher in the punch card book :D .

I've often thought of popping into my local VW dealer with it just to see the look on their face when I ask.

Maybe thats what mine is as well then :oops:

It runs :D :D . Finally got it all back together yesterday & it fired up straight away, I was well chuffed. First time I've done anything more complex than an oil change. Just got to finish bolting up the rear bumper & mudflaps & it's ready for it's MOT. Fingers crossed it won't fail.

Cheers guys. Just got back home after taking it for it's first decent run since I bought it. Did about 80 miles & no leaks, so I'm well happy. :D

I spotted this post on VZI yesterday(bit late i know, didnt realise it was on here :roll: ) and was amazed by it!!

Cracking looking bus. :shock:

If my dormy was half as good as this one id be a happy man!!

Top quality mate!! :wink:

Cheers, to say I'm happy with it would be a huge understatement. I spotting it years ago in a street near where I lived & decided if it ever came up for sale I'd have it. In the meantime I bought a 1973 Westy which was cool but not what I really wanted. I then found out late last year that the guy who owned it worked at the same place as my dad & that he was selling. The Westy was sold to raise some cash & now I have the bus I always wanted. 8)

Latest posts