my 68' bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparkywig said:
Hope the tank compartment looks as good as yours when I finally get the engine and tank out.

I'll admit, I was holding my breath when I took the tank out :msn4: :lol: happy though :D

Been to collect the black paint for the tank today busy day stripping Saturday 8)

Are you planning on cleaning the tank on the inside? If so what are you thinking of using?

sparkywig said:
aspro said:
Are you planning on cleaning the tank on the inside? If so what are you thinking of using?

I cleaned the inside of my "new" tank with degreaser and a pressure washer. It's absolutely spotless inside now.

Well had a peek this morn in the tank and it's immaculate 8) it's better than it looks on the pic :D

null_zpsc71d2c2a.jpg

Happy days 8)

But I have my suspicions it might be a og vw replacement ? Would the original have this sticker?

null_zpsa5d352de.jpg

Anyways, on to stripping, rust neutralising and etching :mrgreen:

null_zps5e3d5e2d.jpg

Can you buy the felt strips and foam seal or do I make it myself with draught excluder??

null_zpsb93fa199.jpg

Then black gloss enamelled one half :D

null_zpsd37098f3.jpg

Will let it dry turn it over and do the other half :D

Then on to the centre belly pan,

null_zps8488e974.jpg

null_zps93975fb7.jpg

Solid but rusty

ThE floor was clean before I started this :roll:

null_zps147d06e5.jpg

Then neutralised it with genolite

null_zps5d003bde.jpg

Nod I'm keeping the dint as it was the first thing I did when I bought the van :msn4:

Then etch primed

null_zpsd1e9822b.jpg

Going to stone chip this when I get my gun out to do under the battery trays 8)

And whilst I was waiting for the neutraliser to dry, I removed the firetec, and started scraping the engine bay :D

The previous owners liked wax oil :msn4:

null_zpsb12e036b.jpg

Everywhere on the bus is covered in it 8) , not pretty but has done its job over the years 8)

Hello Neptune blue 8)

null_zpse35f9e6c.jpg

8)

What's the capper? Either you blokes have found an extra 4 hours in a 24 hour day OR you keep your kids locked up in the basement. It seems every time I log into a resto thread heaps of stuff has happened but I can't even find the time to bolt in my new shifter. :roll:

Keep it up Shaun. Coming along very nicely. And that tank was spotless inside. Very suprised considering all the crap that ends up in fuel these days.

aspro said:
What's the capper? Either you blokes have found an extra 4 hours in a 24 hour day OR you keep your kids locked up in the basement. It seems every time I log into a resto thread heaps of stuff has happened but I can't even find the time to bolt in my new shifter. :roll:

Keep it up Shaun. Coming along very nicely. And that tank was spotless inside. Very suprised considering all the crap that ends up in fuel these days.

:lol: :lol: and here's me thinking I've been slacking lately :msn4: Saturdays are man cave day, the girls are out at dancing and drama and me and the boy are in the garage, he's been more interested in constructing a ramp for his scooter today, suppose sanding and scraping aren't exciting enough :lol:

What's ya shifter Chris, gene berg? 8)

Been a grueller this week with work, so I've only had half a day on it today, and had enough lol

Painted the other half of the tank

null_zps63c12a4e.jpg

Then stone chipped the centre pan, ready for some top coat now 8)

null_zpsbd5bb8ef.jpg

null_zps4d05d71a.jpg

Then on to my new favourite job in the world :roll: wax oil scraping

At least I had my helper :mrgreen:

null_zps42e8010a.jpg

null_zps21ba5dfd.jpg

null_zpsdd683dcb.jpg

null_zpsb96ed57e.jpg

null_zps8d642f0b.jpg

null_zps883a7671.jpg

Then a good wipe down with petrol, I reckon another half day of cleaning then it's ready for primer :?

Oh and found a little hole on top of the o/s rear arch when I removed the filler neck I'm going to sort before paint too :?

Latest posts