my 68' bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68_early_bay said:
Managed a few hours this morn :D finished off the seatbelt mount piece

null_zps736197e0.jpg

Nice work!

What gauge sheet metal did you use for the seatbelt anchor repairs? I have a 68 as well and notice from the underside that there is a heavy gauge, from the factory, steel plate holding the retainer nut for the seatbelt. How will you reinforce this area?

vwcanuck said:
68_early_bay said:
Managed a few hours this morn :D finished off the seatbelt mount piece

null_zps736197e0.jpg

Nice work!

What gauge sheet metal did you use for the seatbelt anchor repairs? I have a 68 as well and notice from the underside that there is a heavy gauge, from the factory, steel plate holding the retainer nut for the seatbelt. How will you reinforce this area?

Hiya,

I used 1.2mm for the actual repair what you see in the pic, then I welded in a 100mm x 75mm strengthener piece in from below of 1.6mm where the anchor point is :D which makes it pretty solid 8) ready for me to bolt my belt through :D

Engine looks sweet as mate! :mrgreen: make sure you get the firetec in their once that beautys installed.

Welding looking good! Nice work bud!!

dazza1975 said:
Engine looks sweet as mate! :mrgreen: make sure you get the firetec in their once that beautys installed.

Welding looking good! Nice work bud!!

Cheers dazza :D

the firetec is all plumbed in ready go 8) I'm not taking any chances when this is in lol :D

68_early_bay said:
I used 1.2mm for the actual repair what you see in the pic, then I welded in a 100mm x 75mm strengthener piece in from below of 1.6mm where the anchor point is :D which makes it pretty solid 8) ready for me to bolt my belt through :D

Solid is good :)

gninnam said:
Nice box of goodies :mrgreen:

How close now to starting?

Hopefully it's being bench tested this week 8) I'm going to add a vid soon as it's done :mrgreen: proberbly be another month or so before it's in the bus, got a few bits I'd like to do in the engine bay whilst it's empty :mrgreen:

Cheers Paul 8)

The race is on to get as much done before I fetch the engine next Saturday :D

A bit more cleaning, etch priming and sealing 8) as I want to get the engine in and use it, I'm saving the o/s arch change til next winter, so I did a little repair to the seat belt anchor for now :D

null_zps1326bf31.jpg

null_zpseee4b980.jpg

null_zps70687e52.jpg

null_zpsa6baa15a.jpg

null_zps7561c8a2.jpg

ThEn my mate came round with a pedal lock for me to try that his mate makes 8)

null_zps72b6eb01.jpg

:mrgreen:

Stone chipping to do tomorrow 8)

woz said:
Great thread - love your garage nice place to be able to sort the metal work.

Gosh that engine :shock: really 8)

Cheers woz 8)

Started on the stone chipping of the tubs today :D

null_zpsae3afcb1.jpg

null_zps7a8af605.jpg

null_zpsd5797167.jpg

null_zps223fdf05.jpg

null_zpsa140632a.jpg

THen realised I'd done my usual trick of not getting enough :( realised about 10 min after the local place I buy it had shut today :?

null_zpsdf35d1dd.jpg

Will pick some up tomorrow and finish tomorrow night :mrgreen:

Then onto the top coat :D

Latest posts