My 69 Deluxe - Lady Novice Attempt Amateur Mechanics!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clem said:
gninnam said:
Sweet work Clem 8)

Quick question - are you putting wax on the window surround and if so, when the rubber goes back, does it 'bunch up' the wax??

Yes, just a thin coat of ankor wax so it dries quick and doesn't smear on install :)

Thanks for the answer and something to bear in mind when I come to do my windows ;)

A nice day today so we skipped Busfreeze :? and emptied the workshop to make some working space

Outside.jpg

;)

Then started on Sarahs engine -

EngBef.jpg

Heater hoses have been blocked off with cans, so no heat :? and the fuelline is a flexi that has been routed over the top of the rear breastplate ... please dont copy this - its downright dangerous :shock: we'll lose the filter near the electrics, too

EngFr.jpg

On the other side, the airfilter stand has been chopped, so the filter was secured using a zip tie :? this meant oil spilling everywhere. We'll swap this for a beetle filter meaning 'factory' air cleaning that mounts direct to the carb. The breather pipe has been chopped too, meaning more oil mess ...

EngRear.jpg

Got it stripped back, plugs cleaned, tappetts set, leads sorted and on fire up all was revving cleanly and well.

Outside4.jpg

Will put all back together now, after an oil change, with some cleaning along the way. :D

I'm a very happy lady Clem & Wally. Thank you :D :D :D Just for interest Clem, why do you think it started to buckerooo a few miles from your place when I dropped it off?

Merlydog said:
I'm a very happy lady Clem & Wally. Thank you :D :D :D Just for interest Clem, why do you think it started to buckerooo a few miles from your place when I dropped it off?

Hard to say for sure, the valves didn't seem to be set well, and maybe just needed a tune and sort. Sometimes a good tinker does the job and can solve connection or air leak issues. The good thing is to find no major issues. :)

There we go. New bug air filter, proper vent hose, new air pipes, correct fuel line routing and a clean up. Safe and sound. :)

3230a2cc.jpg

Look at the difference now :confused0068: it looks so much more tidy Clem tku! :mrgreen: Having seen the two side by side there's no surprises why it wasn't running so sweet.. 8)

There was some dash wiring problems to solve, no dash illumination, no hazard lights, no indicator warning lamps so we had to tuck in ...

dashwire.jpg

Took a lot of wire tracing, earth cleaning and eventually, hazard swith repairing to sort, but all spick and span now. Its pretty sorted for an MOT now :mrgreen:

Wally got his polishing bag out too and had a rub. Here are the two corners, both were the same, one's been done, one not - quite a difference!

corner.jpg

corner2.jpg

:D

faux said:
Looking at that wiring.....it is surprising more buses don't go up in smoke. :shock:

Isn't it just, a subject close to my heart that. When I was about 11 my dad's splitty set on fire with me in the back. As you can imagine, something not easily forgotten :lol: !! Funnily enough that was a fuel pipe issue as well I think so thank goodness Clem & Wally spotted mine?? ;) Got all my bits crossed for the MOT but have every faith it will be fine and dandy with the dream team behind my van :mrgreen:

Well, I'm away on my holidays in sunny Deepcut so no progress has been made particularly and were awaiting the mot test, but this weekend should see some action resume and completion is now in sight!
:mrgreen:

We stripped the interior panels put today, removed all the insulation and took out the old rock n roll bed.
Then we drove it out to have a blast with the waxy gun

adf63b00.jpg

23e44a56.jpg

b6b21c72.jpg

That should help!

Looking awesome Clem & Wally.. I visited the deadly duo this evening & had the chance to drive my bus for the first time since heightening it slightly.. It drives superbly and the engine runs sweet :mrgreen:
It was nice to meet you both, finally :lol: and am looking forward to the end result..

PS - I love the Ghia Clem ;)

Getting on well with the interior my end now... Refurbished and recovered the passenger seat using the JustKampers forum thread kindly suggested by andynods -
http://www.justkampers.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Managed to get all the R&R bed foam recovered in matching blue, the vinyl cab covers were from Bromsgrove auto trimmers..

Got a nice Danbury table bought at a very reasonable price from 68bay on here recently thank you!

A flowery addition are my bolster cushions, hand made by the mother-in-law for my birthday!

I have all door cards matching on order from Chris at Retro Retrims - http://retroretrims.net/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just the drivers seat to refurb & recover, headlining (which is going to have to wait until after Christmas) and currently contemplating whether to bother with the dynamat type product or not :? ?? Now i'm on the hunt for a devon cooker unit :mrgreen:

All coming along nicely though :D

DSCN1424.jpg

Latest posts