My 69 Deluxe - Lady Novice Attempt Amateur Mechanics!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
froggy said:
Whats next then?????

Lots to do!!

some sort of buddy seat made for behind the passenger side, when driving it needs to fit between the front seats to stop my dog interfering when I'm driving ;)
I would like my tyres whitewalled before spring!
I want to repaint the wheels and bumpers, they're a bit sketchy.. Might give them a blast myself.
Wooden steering wheels, I like the light wood mcj products ones, that might have to wait a wee while though as they're rather pricey.
I need to sort the dynamo, it's a little intermittent, Clem's on that case for me :D
I've suddenly developed an oil leak, nothing show stopping but rather random..
Ooo, I have grey and orange mad matz flooring to lay before heading bk to work on 05th Jan.. :mrgreen:
A few other bits to do as ever but enough to keep me entertained there for a little while :shock:

Merlydog said:
Rusty Lee said:
looking good sarah.where you getting the work done?
A guy called Chris at http://www.retroretrims.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - really nice fellow with a mountain of trimming knowledge! His speciality is mini's but he's branching out into campers :mrgreen: Absolute top guy at a very reasonable and realistic price!!
I'm super chuffed with it.. He's made it all from scratch to my specifications.. 8) Seats get started tomorrow!!

Hi Sarah

Looking really good,out of interest where are retroretrims based as I need some work done?

Have you got your bus back as theres a classic car meet at Becketts Farm today 11-3 I think it is,

Is there Graham?! I might pop down then, you going? I get it back this afternoon when he's finished my spare wheel cover.. He's in smethick, he has a small unit just off J1 of the M5. I can't sing his praises enough Graham, let's just say I got the whole thing done for less than some of the major retailers online will do for a pair of DIY front door cards only, and he fitted them! Got it booked in for the headliner in a few months! I've got his mobile number if you'd like it.. :mrgreen:

Hi Sarah

Going to try and pop along in Monty between a few 'family' things, theres usually a random selection of classics there including some beetles and splits.

Yes would be really interested in his number as I need to get the interior in Monty sorted, door cards, seats etc etc,

That's a great turn round from when you first got the bus Sarah, looking really good and look forward to seeing this in the flesh somewhere early next year. Shame about the snow and salt around at the moment after all that hard work

Agree with your comments about Mike and Paul, two great guys who with their knowledge and love of VW have the ability to help and not make you look totally 'stupid' when you enter the strange world of aircooled buses.

Also nice to see some work by other interior guys.

Now you can really start to enjoy your ownership :D

cotswoldiver said:
That's a great turn round from when you first got the bus Sarah, looking really good and look forward to seeing this in the flesh somewhere early next year. Shame about the snow and salt around at the moment after all that hard work

Agree with your comments about Mike and Paul, two great guys who with their knowledge and love of VW have the ability to help and not make you look totally 'stupid' when you enter the strange world of aircooled buses.

Also nice to see some work by other interior guys.

Now you can really start to enjoy your ownership :D

Absolutely! To be fair my task on this van was minimal really, compared to some of the mammoth tasks the guys take on on here! Some serious work & passion put into these vans here from which I've learnt a hell of a lot!! I couldn't have got this far without the help of a fair few regulars on here.. Now all I have left really is customising it & making it my own. :mrgreen:
I can't wait to get to some shows to meet you all next year!
Maybe if I wish hard enough I'll be able to float home from the trimmers today & miss all the salt for the 25 min journey? :lol:

IMG_0022.jpg

Finally I'm in possession of my bus proper :mrgreen: Thought i'd add a little photo of my spare wheel cover, it adds a little character to the interior don't you think?! Having had a bit of a mare getting it started (flat battery, dynamo fooked) off I tottled back with a faultless drive home. :mrgreen: The photo isnt great as it was dark by the time I got home. I will add a few more once i've laid the mat matz flooring and sorted the drivers seat cover out! All tucked away and drying off in my garage.. Super chuffed. 8)

You didn't like the lilac rim then? ;)

I love that cover! 8)

Did my mad matz flooring today.. Was a real pain in the ass getting the old stuff off but worth the effort in the end! :mrgreen: excuse the picture quality but the light in the garage isn't great :D

9a36c62c.jpg

1c7e98b6.jpg

Got me curtains and table in today..
DSCN1444-1.jpg

Ok, I know they're not perfect but I did them myself to keep the cost down - front seats
DSCN1448.jpg

DSCN1450.jpg

DSCN1452.jpg

Having done the Haynes manual tests (with a multimeter which as a beginner took a while to master :oops: ) it seems my regulator & dynamo might be at fault, good job my new 'og' dynamo arrived today - Thank you Grazy!! :D xxxx

Other than that & a small oil leak the van is sweet :mrgreen:

Thats OK Sarah happy to help , might have a regulator in the garage if you need one ;)

Grazy said:
Thats OK Sarah happy to help , might have a regulator in the garage if you need one ;)

That's a really kind offer Grazy tku.. I ordered one some time ago now from machine 7, figured I might as well do the lot ;) It will, I hope, be one of the final mods for sometime, the bus has taken it's toll on my finances now :lol: !! Your dynamo donation has certainly helped Grazy so thank you very much :D I shall keep you posted on my limited mechanic dynamo knowledge, gotta start somewhere ;)

Bit of a lull in progress thus far I'm afraid people.. Been recovering from the Christmas mania & expense!!

8eb891e3.jpg

I am, weather permitting going to attempt the charging issues I've been having this weekend.. So Clem, standby for silly questions :lol:

I'll get some recent phots too with a decent camera.. :D

bb832d08.jpg

Started trying to sort my charging/starting issues today but I got lost.. So I put me sticker on instead and tinkered a bit.. :mrgreen:
I think there's more to my electrical problems than meets the eye.. Auto electrician now.. :( Can't start it at all, DEAD!!

Soooooooo, it seems my starter motor was at fault.. Relay between the ignition & starter motor has done the trick it seems so far.. :mrgreen: Thank you Dave!! 8)

Been out this avo & this evening clearing all the old glue & gubbins for my soundproofing mission..

e6a059ce.jpg

It doesn't seem right plastering roofing flashing all over the nice clean tailgate! I have some sound proofing stuff they use in modern cars wheel arches a kind latebay neighbour owner has given me, so that should do the trick there!
I'm in two minds as to whether to use flashing, but it seems a recommended choice on forums??

Finished the tailgate tonight

582daee8.jpg

And made a start under the R&R bed... I did find a hole :shock: with a piece of foam stuffed in it!! Not too sure what to do with that :?

1438d749.jpg

Everything seemed good rust free & solid though so that's good!! :D

22c5eef7.jpg

be244883.jpg

Latest posts