My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of an update on the drivers side.......

sills015.jpg

frontwheelarch009.jpg

After.....Put on some new panels I got from Volksworld. New wheel arch and started to put in the wheel tub :D Will update with more pics later today if I can.

colour037.jpg

colour034.jpg

colour036.jpg

nice work dude! should have taken the time to tub them arches up a couple of inches! then you could have slammed the van into the weeds.
:wink: 8)

Great job,

makes me feel bad about what I call rust in my bay, Though I haven't opened up the front apron as yet, most of the back of it is fiberglass :x

Are you going to keep it stock?

Another job done :D Not much more left to do on the welding side. Still got to put in the cab floor panel and make some repairs to the bottom of the drivers cab door.

colour048.jpg

colour046.jpg

A couple of other little bits of welding then I should be ready for the prep and paint stage. :D Will update with some more pics soon. ;)

Thanks everyone :D

Jerrys_bus I was going to lower it when I take off the beam.

Justin & Mutley I went down the local metal worker and got a load of off cuts. I made up the rear cargo repairs with a little bit thicker than normal repair panels, think it's 1 mm but not sure, will check and let you know. :D

Justin & Mutley said:
Thanks for that - you're doing a great resto! Are you self taught?

;)

Just bought a cheap mig welder from Halfords which cost £150 and had a go myself. It's great fun, thats when im not setting fire to myself. :lol:

aps said:
What a work!!!

10 years ago such a bus would have been scrapped!

IMHO you go through the "sheet metal hell" ;-)

Great work!

Hate to tell u but they still are - lol

Yes of course, it was wrong grammatic. Correct:

10 years ago such busses were scrapped ...

Even by me, too ;-) ... and 20 years ago ... I don´t wanna talk about ... Only thinking about our faux-pas. But in the past that were no mistakes. It was "daily work" scrapping also better busses thans this one here.

That is amazing what you are doing mate. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have been partly restoring a 72 dormo since last august and after seeing what you have been going through its just made me feel lazy!!!

Keep up the excellent work mate and no doubt we`ll be seeing it at shows this year.

Cheers

Alex

Next job was to weld in new floor repair panel.

The new aftermarket panel didn't seem to fit properly or line up with the exsisting groves of the floor :( ( And after a few choice swear words :shock: ) . decided to cut the panel into two :idea: . Once lined up with the groves again, welded it back in.

Hopefully once I have ground it all back, the weld seam wont show. Will update with more pics tomorrow if I can. :D

colour062.jpg

colour066.jpg

Thanks Airtime :D

Finished repairing the cab floor today, still need a bit of finishing off, but at least it's solid once again.

colour067.jpg

colour081.jpg

colour087.jpg

Next job is to repair the drivers door, will update once I manage to get the bloody thing off :x

Manged to get the drivers door off today which was a job in itself :mad:
The bolts were on so tight that in the end I had to weld a screw driver to them, then use a spanner to prize all four bolts off, this took me most of the day, still it's done now, got the bloody thing off in the end :D

As you can see from this pic the outer skin on the drivers side isn't too bad apart from a bit at the bottom :D

colour051.jpg

Underneath however is a different story :eek:

colour090.jpg

I have decided to give it a go and try to repair it as a new door will prove very expensive. Here I have started to cut away the main bit of rot before treating it.

colour091.jpg

Latest posts