My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of threads are really inspirational, specially those welding posts. It makes me wanna grab that angle grinder right away, even I usually like it least when working on cars.

I wish pleasant miles for you in your earlybay!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. :D

For a pocket money budget project it seems to coming along now . It's been hard work trying to do it all on the drive, fit it in around work and the weather, but it's finally getting there and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at long last.

Bit of an update....Managed to put some glass back in along the offside. I found the rubbers seals were a bit of a pig to get in at first, but got there eventually.

Bought got some Jail bars I think they look really cool 8)

Photo-0046-1.jpg

put on my Alfie sticker :shock:

Photo-0047-1.jpg

Made some more interior panels.

Photo-0044-2.jpg

And put some cupboard doors on. Wanted them black to compliment the vanished wood, can't buy black laminate anywhere nowdays, so in the end I got some white laminate and sprayed it Satin black, quite pleased with the result.

Photo-0048-1.jpg

Photo-0054-1.jpg

Fitted the glass back in on the offside, and next job is to somehow build the units and an over head storage shelf unit. Think I'm going to keep the black theme going with the worktop and put some Aluminium Devon style trim around the edge to finish it off, what do you think?

Photo-0049-1.jpg

Will update soon

Alfie said:
...Think I'm going to keep the black theme going with the worktop and put some Aluminium Devon style trim around the edge to finish it off, what do you think?...

Sounds great to me - you've done a brilliant job and your interior is a nice break from the norm with the black doors! 8)

;)

Alfie - looking mint!! Very impressed with the interior so far - won't be long now eh!! 8)

Looking great chap! 8) nice clean work well done :wink:

This is fantastic. Excellent work.

You are dedicated to the cause.

Excellent bus - keep the pictures coming.

Top job Alfie!......

By the way -
Decided a cream interior, so made a start by lining the window surrounds before the glass and seals go back in, hopefully this will make it a bit more cosy inside. I have used a stretch vinyl leatherette which has been stuck down with a strong spray adhesive

Where did you get the stretch leatherette from, and how much £££? It's a real nice finishing touch that I'd like to consider too..... providing you don't mind me copying your idea that is.... :roll:

Been busy reading your thread for ages! All i can say is.... :shock:
You deserve recognition in a major vee dub mag! My vans in the begginning stages, ive done a few before and think a medal is in order for everything you've done on this bus!Don't think i would ave been brave nuff to do this van!Look forward to meeting you and your van at the 2008 shows! Respect,Steve

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=4118

Camperdan said:
Where did you get the stretch leatherette from, and how much £££? It's a real nice finishing touch that I'd like to consider too..... providing you don't mind me copying your idea that is.... :roll:

Thanks Camperdan

I got the Vinyl leatherette from this shop it is only about £ 6 a metre. They do it in loads of different colours. They also sell cheap fabric.

I got some great retro material which I'm going to use for the curtains, It only cost about £2.50 a metre. (The pic is not to good but you get the idea.)

Photo-0060.jpg

Freelance Fabrics Kidlington Ltd

4 High St

Kidlington OX5 2DL

Tel. 01865 841088

Baybus70......Thanks Steve, cant wait to get it back on the road, hoping to try and finish it in time for Volksworld next year. Would love to see it in a VW mag someday but dont think it's anywhere near that good mate. (Just dont look at it too closely) :lol: :lol:

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments, I really like this forum as its full of friendly peeps with some really cool early bays. Hope to meet some of you soon.

In the meantime started work on the overhead cupboads, thinking of putting in some 12v downlights underneath to light up the worktop. Just an idea :idea: as I've seen a set of them in Halfords , think these will look pretty cool. 8)

Photo-0059-1.jpg

Will update with more pic's as it progresses. :D

What a great job dude, its great on a sunday evening to look at all the work you have done :D I can't wait to see it finished.

Still very nice to look at 8)
Take it the bunks won't be going back in :wink:

Have'nt looked at the progress for ages.......looking sweet, keep up the good work, must start mine very soon needs TLC.....

The light at the end of the tunnel is very near.... :D

Hi Alfie,

Thanks for the info on the leatherette... I've made a note of the number and will put in a call when I finally get to refitting my bus out....... until then I've still a mountain of welding and prep to get through!!!

Keep the pictures coming..... you're nearly there!

Latest posts