My 72 Devon custom

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangobay

Reaction score
After a long winter, he was worth the wait. Here are a few pictures of our 72 crossover bus, originally a Devon Moonraker with a history of at least 4 different paint jobs...

We have gone for a custom interior with a fantastic quality restoration. Apart from a few design contributions I claim no credit for myself. We really didn't know how the choice of split Mango would work on a bay until it was finished but we're delighted with the results and looking forward to getting out and about in Jack this summer.

Project for next winter maybe, doing something about the 1641 engine - pulled well before we added a load of weight, I am not necessarily expecting the same anymore.

2dgt7us.jpg

6yf6lu.jpg

rw1h0h.jpg

vo7w3m.jpg

Still having a discussion with my wife over whether we should have badged the front or not, views on a postcard please...

Great to join the forum.
cheers

Very nice van. Loving the colour. :)

I would also put a badge on. We are all proud of owning an old VW, so why not show the world with a big bling logo...

Nice bus

Greetz

Wim

Great van and love the interior did you make it??????

Defo needs a badge on the front..

thats really classy!!!

who did your poptop concertina? it looks brand new!! :shock: id love some details and pics of the poptop from the top. What have you used to cover the central section, looks like a black one piece vinyl?

i also like the way you left the elevating bit bare aluminium, sort of adds to the deluxe look!

very nice choice of colour too.

PS get that badge on! skitts might still have a few going?

S**t hot paint job - greens really suit the crossover vans, (as do those wheels) youre making me wish i had'nt just sold mine- don't part with her!
engine transplant sounds great idea ...as does the badge!

Ben

Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate the comments.

Looks like the badge is the way forward, my wife is delighted you have all taken her side....

to answer some of the questions, the pop-top was rebuilt by the excellent guys who did the resto for me - Autokampers in Clevedon. When I bought the bus it has a fibreglass bodge-cover on it. Sam was really not looking forward to it but lovingly rebuilt it and restored the old aluminium surround and topped it off with a one-piece balck vinyl sheeting - it is relaly effective and looks great (when it hasn't got bird cr@p on it.)

Bits for the roof are available from these guys, particularly thats where the new concertina came from. Not cheap but worth it and our old one was like swiss-cheese.

http://www.campershop.co.uk/

cheers

cool i was thinking of buying brand new from them but wasnt sure if it was possible to clean restore them back to newish look.

Hi Nick, interior is a mixture of sources really:
- units from Camper Shak in the Northwest, fitted really easily and very nice quality
- upholstery from SJ Bowles in Dorset
- curtains from VWCC
..thats about it really I think.

cheers

Thanks for the info, it's nice to know companys that are personally recommended by the folks on here.

Latest posts