My Brilliant Blue '69 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new here!
My name is Thomas, 29 years old, father of 2 and live in the Netherlands. (excuse me for my bad English :mrgreen: )
In the past I drove a couple of beetles and a karmann ghia, the love for a early bay has always been there.

So in november 2014 i got the chance to trade my 63 beetle for a bay.

It's a brilliant blue 69 deluxe with a lot of patina. It's been lowered by a splitbus front axle with dropped spindels.

Things I would like to do:
Home made camper interior
Adjustable springplates
Rear notch
maybe some alloys

Pictures:

134275.jpg

134335.jpg

134508.jpg

134509.jpg

134512.jpg

134513.jpg

134514.jpg

134516.jpg

134517.jpg

134282.jpg

Really nice bus , Welcome to Earlybay ,

Look forward to progress

My dad had already started with the interior. First the cargofloor is painted in anti-rust paint.
The Rock&Roll bed concept mounted:

135907.jpg

135908.jpg

135909.jpg

135910.jpg

135911.jpg

Yesterday i went to Ninove (Belgium) Drove about 250 km and the bus did well.

De only problem is the steering. It's like driving a boat :D
I think my steeringbox has passed away..

When i'm driving the bus alone it's acceptable. But if someone sits on the passenger seat it becomes realy bad!
Its allmost impossible to correct.. So when there is more weight in the front, the stearing becomes realy bad!

Is there anyone that recognize this? Can it be te steeringbox?

I hope someone can point me in the right direction!

(sorry for my bad English)

Check your tracking and alignment.
My understanding is that when you add more weight at the front, the suspension is lowered and you get more toe-out on your wheels.
I experienced lots of bump steer after a suspension change before getting this set properly.
You might want to check that your track rods are nice and straight as any bends will cause you problems too (as it will throw off the geometry).

Thanks lads!

The setup at this moment:

Front:
Link and pin splitbus front axle with dropped spindels (bought it this way)
4.5J ET34 chrome sprintstars with 165/45/15 tyres

Rear:
adjusitible springplates and chassis notch
5J ET10 chrome sprintstars with 185/60/15
The springplates i fixed myself but i'm not happy the way it turned out. I think i may replace it for some volksprojects plates. I almost have no suspention travel left but its doable for the moment.. I have tryed a set of horesshoeplates but it was imposible to change the rear tyre because of the shitty springplates.

I would like the front beam a little bit narrower so i can drop the front a little bit more. But that is for next year. First I want to finish the interior

(Sorry for my bad English)

Latest posts