My bus is made of Hammerite

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Hi all,

the last owner of my 68 bus seemed to like blue Hammerite a lot. Its been slapped on top of all the floors, on top of God-knows-what.

In my preparation to put down roof flashing on the floors as sound deadening, I've removed the plywood floor to reveal the Hammerite. There are some scratches and the paint is generally really grubby. But it looks like it was put down on top of some kinda sticky substance that someone has "tried" to scrape off in the past, not very successfully. My only guess is that the substance was some kind of thick carpet adhesive.
There are some small rusty bits coming through the paint here and there. For example, underneath those plates with the keyhole slots in them.

What should I do with it now?

1. Buy more hammerite and paint a fresh coat over it to renew it

or

2. Get paint stripper and strip everything off back to bare metal / sound original paint, then metal ready and POR15

Was hoping ya wouldn't say that!! :lol:

I've found that the rear left wheel arch is shot due to leaking window frame.....window frame is also shot on that side :cry: Lower 4 inches of the side panel has been replaced before, but doesn't look like the repair bit was welded at the butt joint at all. Also discovered that when the previous repairs were done, the lazy eejits didn't bother to paint behind the repair. To make matters worse, they smeared seam sealer / black bitumen type crap all over the rear of the repair, which served only to trap rust behind it.

I've got a lot of work ahead

better you found out now......

i had similar woes with my 74.....

some right fecking eejits out there.....

Before you go down the POR15 route, check out rust bullet.
http://www.rustbullet.co.uk/shop/

There's been an on-going argument on which is the best, search the forums for a thread on this.

POR15 needs metal ready to prepare shiny surfaces, rustbullet doesn't, saves money in the long run... etc.

Would deffo be worth getting rid of the hammerite, cos the only thing it likes to be painted over with is itself.

IMHO of course
:wink:

What if I did this? I'm new to this so please excuse my lack of knowledge about rust proofing stuff.

- Strip back the hammerite until i get to sound original paint or steel.
- Wire brush the heck out of any surface rusty bits
- Treat any surface rusty bits with metal ready
- Paint the whole thing with 2 coats of a Zinc primer (like Upol 182 or David's 182)
- Top coat with a 2k paint or ordinary cellulose paint

Snakey said:

There's been an on-going argument on which is the best, search the forums for a thread on this.

POR15 needs metal ready to prepare shiny surfaces, rustbullet doesn't, saves money in the long run... etc.

Would deffo be worth getting rid of the hammerite, cos the only thing it likes to be painted over with is itself.

IMHO of course

Which rust bucket do you recommend. The automotive ???

I need to cover all the usual areas under the van. I have used POR15 and found it not to be the best.

Looked at their web site and sold out of a lot of their products.

mike

Araon said:
Get a blow torch on to it and scrape it off.. :D

Piece off mind then you can lay the sound deadening......

Thanks for the blowtorch tip...softens the paint and makes it scrape off cleanly right down to bare metal...cool......It's just gonna take me about a day solid to do it!

kempy said:
Snakey said:

IMHO of course

Which rust bucket do you recommend. The automotive ???

I need to cover all the usual areas under the van. I have used POR15 and found it not to be the best.

Looked at their web site and sold out of a lot of their products.

mike

Rust bullet auto seems to contain more metal thus providing a better finish. But I guess most people would top coat anyway.
Might be worth contacting them to see if the usual stuff is ok.

Here's the link to the original POR15 mini debate.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=1617&highlight=por15

Check out slammedresto's bus after a good rustbulleting.

Latest posts