my first complete build 69 bay deluxe from Texas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdubkev

Reaction score
Well after owning a few buses that had been done up by there previous owners I decided to start searching for a bus I could restore for myself. After many weeks of scouring the internet, going to view many no good buses, I found a 69 bay deluxe recently imported from Texas. So after deciding to go and view yet another one I felt quietly confident this was going to be a good one. On arriving at its location I saw it on the drive under cover. The chap met us and started to take the cover off, while he was taking the cover off my wife whispered in my ear, "Why has he got a cover on it , its a rust bucket"I gave her to look and started looking over it. After some time looking over it I realised that this is a virtually rust free motor so decided to give up £6900 of my hard earned. On my way home the heavens opened up and the first thing was the wipers decided to stop working, then I couldn't get any gear apart from 3rd, it just wouldn't go in to any other gear, at this point I thought myself what have I bought here, god only knows what the misses will say when I tell her its knackered and how am I going to hill start in 3rd,and now to top it all its misfiring like mad. "this is going to be a challenge".

After some time nursing her along, I finally arrived home.

On looking over it again, the body really is solid so I restored my faith and felt happy with the purchase,I checked on the early bay forum to see If I could find the course of the gear shifting problem, the answer was the adjust a metal plate at the base of the gear shifter,(thanks early bay) so I adjusted this and gave it a quick blast around the block, ha presto the gears had found there rightful place.

I decided to use it to go to work for a few weeks, only to find still misfiring and now leaving a lot of oil where ever I parked it.Looking under neath it looked as if the oil was leaking between the gearbox and engine,So out with the engine it is, "never done the before, "Gulp".

That wasn't to bad!"famous last words"
On checking where the oil was coming from I found the oil seal had gone behind not the fly wheel and the nuts where loose on the oil stand.
Should be an easy fix.
My mate came down toggle it the once over with me (him being a mechanic ) and suggested we check the pistons while the engine is out,,,
Well have u ever had that sinking feeling when some says its knackered ..
Crank grooved to hell ,play in big ends,worn gudgeon pins and so the list went on,"Bang goes the budget"

What to do next ?
After a long discussion with my mate, we come to the conclusion it would properly be best to get rebuilt block.
I went for a long block 1641 twin port built by Steve Strong.He said it would be around three weeks.
So I decided to crack on with the gear box and engine bay.

Engine bay striped and painted,brake lines done, thrust bearing replaced, gearbox oil changed,drive shafts rebuilt and fitted.

Engine has arrived.

Well over the Christmas hols I've be busy striping tinware, painting and putting engine back together, to say I'm happy with the result is an under statement. Now just waiting for the weather to improve so I can get it back in the bus.

Going to run-in on stranded set-up and later going to fit twin carbs and stainless exhaust.
Thats about it for now ,hope i've not waffled on to much,"But its exciting" lol

Great work on the detailing. I know you've had unexpected costs but the bus looks all the better for it. It is exciting :D

cheers guys and gals hope to get cracking on the body soon,I had to sell this to fund it as I bought this done and then decided it would be good to do one myself

S42un.jpg

Think i made the right decision as a friend brought it so I get to see it ......

Love the microbus fella 8) , engine looks cracking too! I need to take my engine out and freshen up the engine bay............i'll start a list for next winter :lol:

Just

Great solid looking bus you've got! 8)

Love the clean freshly painted engine bay too, good work :)

This is sick mate.....i would recommend auto glym super resin polish to get that extra shine as i think that would help the paint work! is it for sale mate?

Nice bus, and nice job on the engine and bay :)

You should get yourself down to some Demon Dweebs meets (if there are any this year).

http://www.demondweebs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for all to positive feedback guys and gals. A few more pics of bits done .
stripped wheels and painted.

Front and rear drums done.
trsoB.jpg

In the middle of cleaning off the underside and under sealing "mm cant seem to find any holes"
wWo2A.jpg

A few more pics of underside
9oAjP.jpg

FhqBp.jpg

As far as the inside goes theres not a lot going on so at some stage I will be building an interior for it
l3615.jpg

0FNB4.jpg

24kwY.jpg

Getting to the body there are the obvious signs of the rust demon so will have to address these
Jq0Ki.jpg

PV6lT.jpg

1toXi.jpg

The biggest decision to make is what to do with the body as I am a bit of a shiny paint kind of guy but that will have to wait for funds.But I have had to buy all the window rubbers as all of them a shot and rock hard so will be attempting this job of the coming weeks
p0hmE.jpg

a little polish mmmm there a few dinks here and there but not to bad for a 42 year old paint job........

Hi Kev

So you've found the forum and signed on, so glad you sold me the dormobile, as you now know the dormobile is now running polished fuchs reps. keep up the good work and as I said before if you need a hand shout! as only 5 mins down road. If you hadnt striped the Puck you bought for michelle as her project, and then started to rebuild that as well things may have progressed better. Bowt time the curtains jeanette made were fitted.

See you soon matey

Dave
CSC_0416.jpg

the buyer of your old green bus should have stuck with the original white Rims! blue bus looking good matey got any advice on engine rebuilding? :?:

Latest posts