My new old bus! 1970 South African westy.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elginbuslover

Reaction score
Picked up my new old bus and Friday from Bournemouth and I'm really pleased.
Not exactly an uneventful trip home!
Started out like this-

IMG_0185.jpg

And ended up like this! :evil:

IMG_0186.jpg

I got all the way to Glasgow before she started playing up. Engine not firing right. :(
After a few attempts at sorting her out by the side of the road with no tools or spares I admitted defeat and called the AA man. :oops:
Got back safe and sound now and trying to sort out the problem. Best guess so far is condenser or coil so I will be replacing all the
ignition leads, plugs, dizzy, rotor arm as well as the condenser and coil.

Here are a few pics of the new love of my life! :bliss:

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

cool and at least its free petrol on the back of the truck, our first breakdown with no spares was the condensor too, replaced it with one from a metro from the local scrapyrad worked and treat for errr, 5months( if its runnin use it), have since replaced condensor, coil, leads plugs, belts, oil , engine, clutch, thrust bearing, oh and stereo, which i find was the best thing to start with.

good luck and enjoy up there in bonny Scotland.

ps is that the orig paint on that westy, love it. :D :D

Ahhh,

Another SO67R, nice to see, there's not many of us around, there's a really nice original one in the months VW Camper and Bus (even if they have called it a SO69 :roll: ).

Personally I love the full bulkhead and double buddy seat, much more civilised eating opposite each other round a table!

Get your bits sorted and get out there!

Matt

cracking bus.

right hooker

full bulkhead.

westy pop

i would have loved to have found one like it when i was buying into a pile of english crap 5 years ago.

enjoy it mate :D

Cheers for all the nice comments and yes it is original paint!
Off working away for 3 weeks so repairs will have to wait, then a mad scramble to get everything working and head south to vanfest. :D

IT'S FIXED! :party0009:

Had a look in the engine this afternoon and something didn't look right. There was a link hanging loose from part of the linkage the links the carbs (it's got a 2 litre lump with twin carbs :msn4: ) so only one side of the engine was getting fuel! Screwed it back in and went for a spin and my grin is back. :mrgreen:

Ain't life sweet when its something simple!

Lovely bus, great colour & I really like the bench seat in a westy. Have fun!

Nice bus and well done for getting that far on an unknown bus.

Where abouts in Elgin are you? I have alot of family around your way. My dad was born in Knockando so still have a fair few rellies around up there. Some in New Elgin, Burghead, Garmouth, Craigellachie etc

Some good hills to keep your westy on its toes...and some lovely beaches for some great shots too.

Al

matt-me said:
Nice bus and well done for getting that far on an unknown bus.

Where abouts in Elgin are you? I have alot of family around your way. My dad was born in Knockando so still have a fair few rellies around up there. Some in New Elgin, Burghead, Garmouth, Craigellachie etc

Some good hills to keep your westy on its toes...and some lovely beaches for some great shots too.

Al

I'm in the Pinefield area on the east side of Elgin.
With a 2 litre lump it laughs at hills! :lol:

Are these rare in RHD, i've got one which says its a SO70R, originally a South African imported in the 80's. I am looking for original interior if anyone can help mainly the sink unit and seat behind the drivers seat.

Cheers

Top bus for sure, i loves it me :mrgreen:

Restoration update............
Just spent many ours on a top quality professional solution to my leaky windscreen seal. :mrgreen:

IMG_0260.jpg

Then this happened!!!! :shock:

IMG_0261.jpg

Not posted for a while but I have kept my eye on the forum. I thought it was time for a wee update of my bus.
Unfortunately unforeseen circumstances mean I haven't been able to do as much work on the bus as I would've liked
but I have managed to do a few things. My fuel tank and engine are back in and running but then the bus got attacked
by a midget with a grinder!! :mrgreen:

IMG_0299.jpg

After a bit of minor surgery around the bottom of the windscreen she is now waterproof. YAY!
So I thought I would treat her to some new shoes.

IMG_0300.jpg

Hopefully I'll make to some shows this year, If they all aren't cancelled due to weather!! :eek:

Latest posts