New drums and stud thread length

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Looking for some opinions here.

About 4 years ago I ordered up some new brake drums (can't recall who from but Heritage or JK). When I tried to fit them to my Crossover I spotted that the studs were too short to allow the nuts to wind right on and there are about 3 turns still visible. I contacted the seller at the time and was advised that I had accidentally ordered Brazilian spec drums, which have a thicker face-plate. They said that these drums are fine as an upgrade but I would need the longer studs. I got the studs but frankly didn't ever get around to fitting them as the drums weren't actually that bad.

Fast forward to today - I decided a couple of weekends back to finally do this work but when I went to press a new longer stud in it didn't go into the hub comfortably. I looked closer and could see that the spline pattern was slightly different (finer) and the width across the splines was a couple of thou wider. I lost confidence in the whole thing and ordered up a full bundle kit from Cool Air for new drums, pistons and shoes. The picture online showed the correct drum shape (the Brazilian ones don't have the bevelled edge or numbers stamped into the rim in 3 places) but when the kit arrived it was supplied with Brazilian drums again and so am back to square 1!

I have raised this with Cool Air, who's first impression is that there is no such thing as a "Brazilian drum" but I sent a whole bunch of pictures through showing the issue, measurements and a JK ad for Brazilian spec shoes. Ultimately they say that the nuts look like they wind on enough to torque up OK and I shouldn't be concerned and that it's normal to see some threads showing.

Has anyone else come across this? Any thoughts on the safety of nuts that don't wind fully on?! They do torque up OK in fairness.

Attachments

• Betsy Wheel Nuts - Orig.PNG
    Betsy Wheel Nuts - Orig.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Drum Brazilian.PNG
    Drum Brazilian.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Nuts with Brazilian Drum.PNG
    Nuts with Brazilian Drum.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Stock Drum.PNG
    Stock Drum.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Not good you should have the whole nut on the stud, for any racing you have to have threads showing past the nut.

^^ My thoughts exactly. The interesting thing is that Cool Air say that there are no other drum "shapes or configurations" available and that what they supply is suitable for MYs 71-76, so I wonder if everyone is destined to have this issue...?

Anyone managed to order any original "stock" drums with the bevelled edge and thin face plate from anywhere? Seems you can't rely on the website pictures as the one shown on Cool Air is the stock type (though the guy said they would update it). 71-72 Bundle Kit - Cool Air VW

So I looked at alternative studs on VW Heritage and interestingly, for all various studs including screw-in for wide 5 conversion and aftermarket alloys options, it says that you must have 14mm of thread engagement on the nut. Will need to measure what I have but it looks close to that. Still not entirely happy though...

Not sure stock drums are still being made (new) unless as you point out from Brazil. Mine are seized and may need cutting off. I was going to look for a pair of good (original) used ones. EG FBIVW

Latest posts