New engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutty999

Reaction score
Hi guys, after two engines in four years I’m after another! Please can anybody suggest the best place to buy after my last new rebuild blew apart after 6 miles!
This is my last chance to make this work, wife’s patience is ridiculously thin!
Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[youtube][/youtube]Hey bud, I feel your pain. I’m not a complete nob head when it comes to mechanical type stuff. I thought getting a brand new motor would be the answer and I could fit and forget. That was abit of a mistake. Nuff said. So the new motors available are from South America and so are most of the available components so it’s a bit of a Russian roulette with who is good and have they got good parts. So go Scooby or get someone old school like Abel to sort it. I’m just waiting for my 1641 brand spankers motor to give up the ghost and it’s doing the dieing swan at the moment then if I don’t want to do it, because I’m in the piss with it or if I can’t because of work commitments then I’ll maybe let Abel sort it for me . He knows what’s what and he has been known to massage a motor out of decent bits that is very much better than your average run of the mill available re built motor.

Ozziedog,,,,,, not many peeps get my vote. :mrgreen:

Off the shelf recon engines are dog shit. Use a proven engine builder with a long list of happy customers and impressive builds to their name.

Ritchie Webb RJ Volksperformance
Mark Prosser Auto technics
Ian Clarke Wolfsburg performance services
Or my good friend Hector Howe

All these guys have been building engines since the beginning of time both stock and fast, know their shit and have built some serious motors. I know many people with engines from all these guys and I myself have a stroker built by Hector. I used to build engines but do to increased commitments at work no longer have the time to do them in reasonable time frames. Although they were all very happy with the end results I needed to focus more time on actually doing the engineering and mechanics I officially get paid for.

Bare in mind though... Good engines aren’t cheap and cheap engines aren’t good. Don’t go the Subaru route, why buy an AIRCOOLED vw and ditch the aircooled part.

K@rlos said:
Don’t go the Subaru route, why buy an AIRCOOLED vw and ditch the aircooled part.

well for me it was; reliability, economy, substantial power increase and never having to worry about overheating sat on the m25 or f**k about with carbs and points etc again.. plug and play really, get in and go. I didn't buy an "air cooled vw" I bought a camper and whatever means I can go camping with as little hassle as possible suits me best. Is upgrading the engine any different to upgrading the brakes or suspension? yet that is never questioned.
I fully respect your view point Karlos ;) but surely this is a 'horses for courses' situation. The OP may not want to rule it out.

Liam

lemur said:
K@rlos said:
Don’t go the Subaru route, why buy an AIRCOOLED vw and ditch the aircooled part.

well for me it was; reliability, economy, substantial power increase and never having to worry about overheating sat on the m25 or f**k about with carbs and points etc again.. plug and play really, get in and go. I didn't buy an "air cooled vw" I bought a camper and whatever means I can go camping with as little hassle as possible suits me best. Is upgrading the engine any different to upgrading the brakes or suspension? yet that is never questioned.
I fully respect your view point Karlos ;) but surely this is a 'horses for courses' situation. The OP may not want to rule it out.

Liam

That line of thought does make me chuckle (no offence) A properly built and tuned air cooled engine WILL NEVER over heat. If they work perfectly in the desert then they should work perfectly on the M25. I often wonder why people doubts a Volkswagen's reliability? 50 yrs ago they were used everyday without issue and strictly speaking they should be a lot less troublesome than a modern engine as there is a lot less to go wrong. It's often a case of not understanding the technology, not building them right or not knowing how to tune 1. A lot of recently trained mechanics have no idea about jetting or what dwell angle is and original aircooled trained mechanic is gonna be overwhelmed by Common rail diesels and all the ecu's and tech a new Golf TDI is gonna have

But yes it is horses for courses, Personally I don't think you can beat the sound and feel of driving an aircooled stroker with a big cam and massive carbs, perhaps I'm just old fashioned

Can your current engine be rebuilt or is totally ruined?
What engine do you need?
Where abouts in the country are you?
Someone might be able to recommend a builder local to you.

Hi guys
All your replies have been read and I’m truly grateful.

I’m way up north, Penrith. My original was a 1641 built by ? Steve from London...it sat for 18 months whilst I did the van up then blew after 6 miles....had an engineer look at it and he thinks it was probably never torqued up as everything is loose! Steve wouldn’t stand by it despite it only having about 15 mins run time!
The next one was an imported 1800 (Canadian) which ran well but gave up on a long French bridge with no hard shoulder and with the family in, I decided to get them to safety and risk the engine....no surprises that it ceased but the girls were safely behind the crash barrier so I was moderately happy!
I think they’re both knackered and honestly don’t want to waste any more £ on them.
I’d rather pay more £ for an engine built by someone who knows their stuff!
I’ll look into those guys recommended already, but if anybody knows a local please get in touch!

You lot are brilliant, thanks!

No personal experience but Daz Chandler formally aircooled performance is not to far from you so might be worth talking to aswell

https://m.facebook.com/dcshotrodnraceshop/about

Hi. Not quite as far north as you but give Garrick at bamber bridge beetles(preston ish) a try. He came highly recommended to me and has sorted all my vw issues..
He does engine work and is very knowledgeable

72baywesty said:
Hi. Not quite as far north as you but give Garrick at bamber bridge beetles(preston ish) a try. He came highly recommended to me and has sorted all my vw issues..
He does engine work and is very knowledgeable

Thank you

paul_q said:
No personal experience but Daz Chandler formally aircooled performance is not to far from you so might be worth talking to aswell

https://m.facebook.com/dcshotrodnraceshop/about
Thanks

Shaunb said:
i can vouch for Daz Chandler too, top guy and great work
Thanks buddy, I’ll try and get in touch with him this weekend.

We had a rebuild by Abel Afonso and it runs and sounds great. No qualms in recommending him. He's based in Wrexham and is on here somewhere. 🤙

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Latest posts