New Exhaust running like a bitch < _ <

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
Hello lovely people :)

Any advice for me? I got a new exhaust put on, same as the old one but less rusty, just a cheap standars JK one and since then it's not running well at all. I was told it's the points or the fuel filter so put new ones on but still the same problem :/

She starts ok and ticks over but any time the engine is under a bit of pressure it feels like there is no fuel, for instance taking off at junctions and coming up my slight hill of a drive, she just goes flat, stalls or ticks over but won't rev for a bit.

Any help would be really appreciated x x x

Hi, if things changed with the exhaust swap it would suggest thats the culprit. did you use exhaust paste and make sure everything was clamped up nice and tight?.
sounds like you may have an air leak have you disturbed the carb?.......i could be wrong {i usually am :lol: } but thats where i would start.
im sure somebody else much more knowledgeable will be along in a minute.

good luck with it..........kev

Cheers bubba :)

You would think it was an exhaust issue but I have checked that and it seems every time I fix something another, unrelated, thing goes wrong :/ Last time while fixing a leak on the oil cooler the electronic ignition unit gave up < _ <

I wonder... was your carb and timing tuned to a leaky exhaust and now you've put a good'un on, your "corrected" set up is no longer valid.

I recommend you reset your timing.

Cheers gvee, I did think that but the new points are set up to the new exhaust and the MASSIVE flat spot is still there, Feels like a block in the carb but why would that only happen going up hill?

Possibly a blocked idle jet and/or the fuel shut off solenoid is not working due to wire coming off. Timing has nothing to do with exhaust.

Latest posts