New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon all,

I'm off to pick up our first Bay tomorrow night. Very excited!
We found it on theSamba a few weeks ago and promptly sold our lovely T4 to fund it. We previously had a Splitty before the T4, and I have a '65 Beetle, so not a total newbie to these old Vee Dubs.

It's a Chianti Red '71 Westy Pop Top with almost 95% OG paint I think. It's been around the world - firstly to the USA, then into Netherlands via Keift en Klock and then on to southern Spain. Now it's in Stoke on Trent and coming to Wellingborough.

I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of "What's this...?" and "How do you...?" type questions in the future! :?

See you out there 8)

Hello,

Been lurking on here for a while, but just thought I should say hello.

Unfortunately I don't have an Early Bay at the moment :( But I do have a 1968 Beetle:

10001300_738264789538065_1178153702_n.jpg

10154214_739330912764786_1095442130_n.jpg

10169170_739329329431611_1259058012_n.jpg

I have a Bay project I'm working on at the moment, which was pretty rough:

IMAG2560.jpg

Just doing the bodywork prep at the moment. It should be ready to be primed in about a weeks time :D

Got an Early Bay coming in for full resto in the next couple of months too :D

Cheers,
Mabbo

Mahoooosive welcome to all the newbies and the lurkers and the ```about to get ones ``` and the ```oh shit``` what have I bought ``` gang as well ;) I include myself in the last category as too. Some lovely piccies of good stuff there too and some nice finds as well. Join in straight off,, ask away as soon as you want,, try and post questions in either general or in technical and you`ll get a much much better response to your questions. At the moment a lot of the Early Bay gang will be recovering from various events last weekend and fixing their own walking wounded as well.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, And this is the time of year we wait for :mrgreen: :lol: ;) :lol: :mrgreen:

Hi everyone

I am new this site as brought my first 1971 T2 last Saturday.

It needs some tlc but will try and add some pics later.

As a newbie I'm sure I will have a few questions I need advice on 8)

Thanks

Simon

Hi guys and welcome to the world that is Earlybay.com 8)
Youl find some great help and advice on here - and remember "we love pics" 8) :lol:

Hello All.

Newbie here and about to end my 20+ year dream of owning an air cooled camper.

Had T4/5's for past few years but now it's time to have a play!

Looking for an early bay as apparently more useable than a splitty...?

Mike

Mickeyb0305 said:
Hello All.

Newbie here and about to end my 20+ year dream of owning an air cooled camper.

Had T4/5's for past few years but now it's time to have a play!

Looking for an early bay as apparently more useable than a splitty...?

Mike

More useable and way cooler! 8) - Welcome :D

Hi folks,

My girlfriend and I recently bought our first EarlyBay, which we've christened "Beth".

She's a 71 Devon Sunlander, although the interior has been removed apart from the 3/4 RnR bed. This is actually ideal for us as we have three greyhounds which take up quite a bit of space, so it's camping stove and pub grub for our trips.

I must hold my hands up and admit I don't have the first clue about anything mechanical, so expect a lot of questions! The previous owner had replaced the carb and fuel pump, and had done the necessary welding and resprayed her, so we've got a van that runs pretty well and looks really good, she just needs tarted up on the inside. I guess the idea is to get away with her as much as possible in summer, and do any work over the winter. Anyway, I've enjoyed reading the forum over the last week since we got her, and I'm looking forward to participating.

10363847_10152186075687444_1596173075008912822_n_zps803d5091.jpg

10246675_10152186076302444_4526576694746663879_n_zpsd5955eff.jpg

10177530_10152186075782444_3593464136776739296_n_zps5d844f49.jpg

Hi guys,
Just thought I would say Hello!
I have a 72' crossover with Devon pop top. In the middle of just finishing it off so we can get away in it in August!
Anyway big hello from us to all of you.

hi all just found and joined your site looks brill just purchased a 72 bay just starting to strip it down
does anybody recommend the roll over jigs as advertised on eBay are they any good?nice to get some feed back
ill start to upload some pics soon

I go away for a bit of work and I come back to a zillion new peeps on here :shock: How fantastic is that!! The warmest of welcomes to all the new peeps and their busses particularly, and there`s some fine looking examples in the piccies too. Don`t be frightened to put up pics of your pride and joy even if it is less than pristine (like mine) :mrgreen: We like to see all of them in all their guises and conditions especially the rusty ones that have been saved from their demise :p Hope to see you at some of the shows this year, and there looks like a belter of a show this weekend in Stratford Upon Avon for Aircooleds only which is advertised under Events, if you can get there then please do. You`ll find me in or around or under a white one with leapard skin (ish) bumpers, so please say `HI` and you might even get press ganged into helping me fit my new interior if it`s at all possible to hook up with Delilah`s who made it. Got to say it looks ab fab from the sneaky pics of it. Mine is definitley a work in progress like so many of the busses on here and at the events.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Now it`s summer and this is what it`s all about

Hi to everyone , I'm new to forums and will take a while to work out how to view previous post and topics but hope it's a mine of Info. I've have a 68 registered 69 model tin top Devon that's been off the road for a good 6 years but had for 20 years (Misterman van) and share a cross over that we've had for ten years that's just starting to require some more attention after the initial resto. Before the question is asked I'm selling neither. Even the wife knows that's not a spoken topic.
I have been playing with bays and a few bugs for 20 years so I may have some knowledge on a few things to help someone. So the kids are finally giving me a break and I'm starting to go through the garage and start restoring the pile of parts to keep both alive and enjoying it a lot.

But can someone help me I've searched the forum (Clumsily) .About opening door qtr lights and polishing the chrome bar. Mine are so dull and milky, is this bar lacquer coated or is this just the chrome on the ally extrusion shot. Any pointers welcome. Thanks John

Hi all pleased to be aboard!

Have just become the owner of a 71 Bay Dormobile conversion. Previous air cooled history is a 1200 '72 bug and I've had loads of more modern (well, golf mk 2 and later) veedubs since. Also own a 1986 1.9DG (water cooled) T25 camper...currently a Tintop but about to fit a late Westy roof to her.

Right I don't actually know much about the Bay...purchased unseen from an ex RAF colleague of mine (yes, unseen...but reflected in the price). She should be on my drive within a few days and then she'll get a check over and go to storage before restoration starts in earnest in a few months. I'm assuming a total resto so anything that works will be a bonus. I do have a few external pics as below...grateful for any info anyone can supply...eg is she likely to have a single or dual port engine, will she have disc brakes at the front? (Assuming original spec).

Brief details are:
RHD (not LHD as I originally put!)
Registered 11 Mar 1971
Last on the road 3 years ago
And anything else anyone can guess from the pics!

Thanks all, looking forward to the fun and will doubtless be asking lots of questions!

2yz0tg1.jpg

rtm3yo.jpg

13yibe1.jpg

And for completeness her younger sister...the T25...

21k9wdk.jpg

LeeME3 said:
Hi all pleased to be aboard!

Have just become the owner of a 71 Bay Dormobile conversion. Previous air cooled history is a 1200 '72 bug and I've had loads of more modern (well, golf mk 2 and later) veedubs since. Also own a 1986 1.9DG (water cooled) T25 camper...currently a Tintop but about to fit a late Westy roof to her.

Right I don't actually know much about the Bay...purchased unseen from an ex RAF colleague of mine (yes, unseen...but reflected in the price). She should be on my drive within a few days and then she'll get a check over and go to storage before restoration starts in earnest in a few months. I'm assuming a total resto so anything that works will be a bonus. I do have a few external pics as below...grateful for any info anyone can supply...eg is she likely to have a single or dual port engine, will she have disc brakes at the front? (Assuming original spec).

Brief details are:
LHD
Registered 11 Mar 1971
Last on the road 3 years ago
And anything else anyone can guess from the pics!

Thanks all, looking forward to the fun and will doubtless be asking lots of questions!

2yz0tg1.jpg

rtm3yo.jpg

13yibe1.jpg

And for completeness her younger sister...the T25...

21k9wdk.jpg

Nice looking bus, welcome. That Dormy roof is the dogs doodahs in my view. :D

LHD you say, although the slider is on the near side. That is interesting, can't tell much else from the pics however. Post some more once you get her home, won't you. :D

BTW, 'veedub' is the subject of much scorn on here just now. They are Volkswagen's :lol:

Latest posts