Noise from electric fuel pump - type 4 engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aircooled_al

Reaction score
Hi,

A question about my newly aquired '72 Westy.

I've noticed that the electric fuel pump is making a buzzing noise when I turn the key (prior to starting). I can feel the pump vibrating when I touch it so I'm pretty sure that's the source of the noise. The engine starts and runs fine but the noise continues after starting. Is that normal or an indication that problems are round the corner? The engine is a 1.7 type3/4 with fuel injection.

Thanks,

Al

Welcome aboard!

That fuel pump looked like a VW Golf one, by the way.... The one on the convertible that I used to have (the ex has it still) always made a noise like yours does. Various folk have said it was on its way out, but it's been like that since 1993!

Nick

Sounds normal to me, the fuel pump in my van makes a racket and vibrates too!

Coming back to this thread after a while as things have developed regarding the fuel pump. It's still noisy but sometimes after I've driven it, when I try to restart the engine it turns over but doesn't fire - and when this happens, I can't hear the fuel pump. If I leave it for 10-15 minutes, the fuel pump starts working again (it's a bit louder for a while) and it starts fine.

I'm guessing I need a new pump, or could it be a separate relay (not sure if I have one). Should I take off the hose from the pump and turn it over to check?

Does anyone know a good source for a replacement. I can only find this one on VW Heritage:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-Pump-Fuel-Injection-T1-T2-75-79-T25-80-92-251906091_act_shop.product_pID_38062885_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is for a T2 75-79. Mine is a 72, pancake engine.

Cheers,

Al

Found another one which is more likely:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Fuel-Pump-Injection-Type3-Type4-311906091D_act_shop.product_pID_117955169_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No photo though and a 12 week delivery :(

Latest posts