not ticking over, and rough running at low revs.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve92

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Having a few engine woes! coming home from a lovely few weeks and 1500 miles in scotland, i got to within 100miles of home, dropped off the motorway to the roundabout, and the bus cut out. restarted straight away, but at low revs it's missing, and spluttering, and cutting out when stopped. managed to get home though. Have had a look today, and changed all the usual suspects, Dizzy cap, rotor, leads, plugs, coil, but to no avail. Going to check valve clearances tomorrow, and check the fuel filter isn't bunged up. It's ok at higher revs, and when it's under load though. it's a 1600 twin port, running standard carb and petronix ignition. suppose if tomorrow doesn't sort it, i'm looking at carb problems? thought ignition, but electronic either works or it doesn't right? also the fuel switch clicks so am guessing it's not that. Anybody any other thoughts?

Steve.

That happened to mine yesterday :shock: stopped off at my local VW guru on the way home and was the carb. Just needed a little adjustment to the mixture and the timing gun put on her and we were ticking over just fine. It's the second time it's happened to me in 2 months and it's a new carb...very strange :roll:

bit of crap in the idle jet,some times opening the mixture screw will clear it.

What 67Panel says!
Whip out that idle screw etc and give a good old blast with some carb cleaner and give it a good old rev.
I had just that last week as mine wouldn't tick over and this sorted mine.

Jay71 said:
That happened to mine yesterday :shock: stopped off at my local VW guru on the way home and was the carb. Just needed a little adjustment to the mixture and the timing gun put on her and we were ticking over just fine. It's the second time it's happened to me in 2 months and it's a new carb...very strange :roll:
Check the throttle stop screw isn't loose.

Had these symptoms twice also
1st time was a loose ht lead
2nd a vacuum advance pipe had come disconnected
Good luck...

Ok. Have reset the valves this morning. Some were a bit tight, so was hopeful! Was still cutting out though :cry: So thought sod it for today. Then reversing back into the garage it had a kind of dull backfire, not a pop but like a dull thud, then it was all good! purring like a kitten now :D .will take it for a run tomorrow just to be sure, but suspect some clag in the carb that has just blown out.

Fingers crossed. Cheers guys.

Latest posts