off road tyres

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablodog

Reaction score
Morning,

Thinking about putting these semi off road tyres on my standard 14 inch rims

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/event/ml698-plus/195r14c-106-104q-887239

pretty cheap compared to most off road tyres.

No reason why these wouldnt fit ok???

Hiya Pablodog, Is your van lowered and if it is, by how much? How tall are these tyres compared to your existing ? And how much clearance do you have? They look like just the thing that I’ll be after come this winter time but I am in the process of going back to stock height.
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,any side views? :mrgreen:

Hey ozziedog,
Stock height(for a change!) so good clearance. I think I worked out that there was only just over a cm difference in height in the tyres. Think I might recheck that!
Here's a side view...

Good idea, have a recheck but a centimetre is not even the difference between a cream crackered tyre and a brand spankers tyre is it really. I know it’s all about the rolling circumference in reality ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,reckon you’re close. :mrgreen:

should add just over 2 cm to the sidewall so just over 4 cm in total. Should squeeze that in easily and fill the `gap`a bit. Tyres ordered and on there way anyway............

pablodog said:
should add just over 2 cm to the sidewall so just over 4 cm in total. Should squeeze that in easily and fill the `gap`a bit. Tyres ordered and on there way anyway............

Great, I wanna pic of em on if you’d be so kind ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,must start on raising that garage door soon :mrgreen:

Hi. I'd be interested as to how these turn out also. When I did a bit of research some time ago I think I came to the conclusion that I needed a wider wheel rim as my 4" wide 14s would be undersized. My idea was to fit larger tyres at same time as giving the engine a bit more grunt. Would give me slightly higher gearing....

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Bluesnailman said:
Hi. I'd be interested as to how these turn out also. When I did a bit of research some time ago I think I came to the conclusion that I needed a wider wheel rim as my 4" wide 14s would be undersized. My idea was to fit larger tyres at same time as giving the engine a bit more grunt. Would give me slightly higher gearing....

Are you running Beetle steels?

sparkywig said:
Bluesnailman said:

Are you running Beetle steels?
No, I wonder if my memory is letting me down.... Did they need to be 5inch? Who knows...

Bluesnailman, i think the standard 14 inch wheels have a width of 5 inches.

The tyres i have on them at the moment are 7.7 inches and the offroad BFG clone type tyres I have bought should be 7.8 inches. The old standard original size tyre I have on the spare wheel appears to be 7.4 ish inches so all in the same ball park and hopefully will fit ok.
Waiting for them to arrive, tracking says they have been in the Netherlands for a few days.......

on saying that^^^^ I think for the new tyre size the rims should be 5.5 inch But seeing as the tyres i already have on probably should be on a 5.5 inch rims as they are 195s.............................

That looks great, and that’s where I wanna be, please don’t take this the wrong way bud but you looks like you got a saggy ass now. I’m gonna get back to where you are and then another spline or possibly two :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,couldn’t be doin with a saggy ass :lol: :roll: :lol:

ozziedog said:
Bluesnailman said:
pablodog said:
Nice!! What's the road noise like with them on?

We’re in an ancient Volkswagen, so what’s another bit of noise [emoji38]

Ozziedog,,,,,,, noise??? I don’t believe you asked that [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]
And Ozziedog normally the provider of sound advice....

As per the comedy sketch....

A tyre is like a beautiful lady... As you get older the amount of droning becomes more important than the looks.

I think I'm getting old

Oi don't talk about my butt like that, have done squats and butt clenches and seems level now! It had just been on the jack and new KYBs had to settle. Measures the same all the way along now so sort of ok!

Well my gearbox noise and the open sunroof drowns out any road noise so couldn't hear anything from the tyres. Took it off road and could just hear rocks pinging off the bodywork so that's positive...maybe...or not.

Anyway I am very happy with it now. Just need to teach it to stop 😆

Latest posts