OH FOR F***S SAKE!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziedog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clutch release bearing screaming like a fox on heat, gives up the ghost with Mrs Ozziedog on a visit to one of her darkside outings :shock: Drive home with no clutch, no big deal :) Thought it was the clutch cable originally, so no big deal :) Drop the engine and fit new bearing and throw a new clutch in for good measure, no big deal :) While the engine is out, have a look at the oil leaks, no big deal :) Might as well pop the heads off and have a look, no big deal :) Have a bit of an issue with the head gaskets , yes I got head gaskets and can`t get new ones, so check deck height and lap em in, no big deal :) Sort the valves and guides are ok and pop in some stem seals, no big deal :) Put the engine back together but forgot to put the deflector tin ware in between the barrells and the pushrod tubes, can`t squeeze em in so pull it all apart and do it again, Oh bugger ! :) Got a couple of bit`s of tinware missing at the rear, Oh bugger, but I can fit them later, Ahhhhh :( Sort out the bodged up throttle through the tin ware while it`s out, might as well, no big deal, :) Wrestle the engine back in and replace all the missing bolts and hook it all up, This is good :D Take off the zorst and refit it cause it`s hitting the support bar, I love this bus really :) Throttle dosen`t want to come through far enough, Oh shit :oops: :( Slip it out , fiddle about, and pop it back in, Won`t be long now :D Sort the throttle, fit the engine, fit the tinware, find all the bolts that are missing, fit the bumper, wire it up, sort the fuel pipes, and pop the battery on charge over night, Now we`re getting somewhere :D Turn the key, wuuuh wuuh wuuh, try again wuuh wuuh wuuh, and again and again, Oh well it`s gonna be tight cause I honed the bores :) Have I got a spark at the leads, NO ! better have another look at the wires, oh yea that one goes to the coil and that one goes to the oil sender, :D Charge the battery again. :D Jump in and fire it up and he starts first time!! :p :p :p Get the thing off the jacks, lower him carefully get all the axle stands outand drop him down, can`t get the trolley jack out, NO BIG DEAL! :( :( :) Jack him up again and set him down on his wheels onto some blocks, You beauty :p Open the garage door :D Adjust the mirrors :D Start him up :D Grab the gearstick :p Push in the clutch, :cry: :evil: :evil: :cry: The clutch peddle goes straight to the floor, :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Now where did this story begin ?? Oh yeah FOR F***S SAKE :roll: :oops: ;) :oops: :roll:

Rant over !! Sorry about that gang :oops: Let`s get back down the garage, jack him up, and have a look at the clutch cable, I`m thinking maybe the cable was on it`s last legs as well which may have given me the extra slack for the release bearing to fall off, and when I adjusted it up, I put the thing back in tension and a couple of goes on the clutch and bang. That`s what I`m thinking :? I`ll report back later when I know where we are, :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,It could have been worse,, like a mile up the road or something!! :lol: ;) :lol:

I vote this thread as the best use of 'smilies' :lol:
Does sound like its the cable, i once drove 50 miles with very little / no clutch only to find the release bearing arms had broke off and gone through the clutch, trashing the clutch pressure plate and the release bearing

You can get the heavy duty clips for you release bearing ... I got some but could I fit um could I heckers like .... Top post by the way I feel for you , been there engine out and in twice on three hours on the garage floor well knackering :roll: good luck hope you get sorted ;)

OOOOOhhhhh,,,,, it`s only sorted ! :D :D Bastard crutch cable :evil: SO,,,, the good news,, It`s running like never before ! :D I was doing 70,,,,,, fu**ing 70 up the ring road (by my speedo, but it`s wrong) At first,,, I thought the clutch was slipping,,,, but it wasn`t,, it`s a strange phenomena to busses called acceleration :p :p Dry engine as well !! And the gear change feels like it`s not actually working :D So,,,,,, all`s well that ends well, because it`s allright in the end, if it`s not allright,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it`s not the end !! (borrowed) Sorry about the vent / rant earlier ! :oops: But happy days,,,, it`s all good ! ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Simple things,,, simple minds ! 8) ;) :?

You never mentioned your oil leak.
Well it's not really a leak, more like the Torrey Canyon visited for a coffee.....

004-9.jpg

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,looks like the engine's coming out again! 8) ;) :?

:lol:

Looks like my bus Sherbie had a little accident :lol: Looks like he peed in your gutter :oops:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Could have been worse,, could of been me peein in your gutter, :lol: :roll: :lol:

Looks like I`ve buggered it up,,,,,,, YET AGAIN,, So it looks like I didn`t smack that oil seal in hard enough. Thought that pressing it in with the flywheel was good enough ,,, obviously not :shock: Engine out tomorrow afternoon. Lets have a look :lol: ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Here we go again,, :lol: :? :lol:

Hoosier said:
Did you change the O ring inside the flywheel aswell?

Rich

O ring ????? Didn`t know there was one,,,,, :oops: Do now,, anything else I could have buggered up ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Would have been a lot easier to have just said "Yeah course I did" :lol: :? :lol:

ozziedog said:
Hoosier said:

Rich

O ring ????? Didn`t know there was one,,,,, :oops: Do now,, anything else I could have buggered up ???

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Would have been a lot easier to have just said "Yeah course I did" :lol: :? :lol:
Yeh, i didnt the 1st few times i fitted flywheels on Aircooled motors motors :mrgreen:.
Probably there where the leak started.
Pull the flywheel off and its in a groove in the rear where the crank connects.
Little bit of grease on the new one so it doesnt get dragged out of the slot when you push it back onto the crank.
Itl be in the left over bits you have in the engine gasget set you baught :lol: .
Id sling another crank seal in whilst your at it just for peace of mind.

Rich

Hoosier said:
ozziedog said:
Hoosier said:

Rich

Yeh, i didnt the 1st few times i fitted flywheels on Aircooled motors motors :mrgreen:.
Probably there where the leak started.
Pull the flywheel off and its in a groove in the rear where the crank connects.
Little bit of grease on the new one so it doesnt get dragged out of the slot when you push it back onto the crank.
Itl be in the left over bits you have in the engine gasget set you baught :lol: .
Id sling another crank seal in whilst your at it just for peace of mind.

Rich

Did exactly that,, and roughed up the seating face on the flywheel as well. Got the flywheeel back on then took the nut off so \i`ll remember to torque it up tomorrow (beer crates at the ready) While it`s out again, there has got to be a better way with the throttle linkage,, it`s quite crap really, maybe pop the cable to the side of the fan houseing and move the central lever over to one side.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, NUTS at the ready,,,,,, :shock: 8) :shock:

Here we go then,,,,,, broke the gland nut in two at about 230 lb. The nut fractured right on the little step just next to where the thread starts. Just been on to machine 7. Anyone would think I`d worn it out ! :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, What does tomorrow bring ??? :shock: ;) :shock:

you know what they say "do it right ,do it once" .there's always one smart arse :lol: keep your pecker up ozzie it will all come good-------------eventualy, dave whose never had to do anythink again :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: much

Mrs Ozziedog has been shopping and I`m three sheets to the wind and half way through a packet of dark chocolate hobnobs, so the world is all cool with me at the moment. The garage is the tidiest it`s ever been because that`s how I chilled after the nut went Pete Tong. I also bought a record no 6 in a second hand shop and been fitting that,, look forward to using that lil puppy. Back to the hobby nobby`s, I have a technique for luxuriating with them ! :shock: :roll: :shock: What I do is put two together with the choccy touching and have the quickest of dunks into the mug of coffee,,that way you don`t melt the chocolate too much :D But the tricky bit is ramming them both into your gob at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,, :roll: `Somehow,, I manage`, Then chew,,,,,, beeee aaaaa utifull ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, When it all goes wrong,, sort your tum,, and it`ll be ok ! :lol: :roll: :lol:

Latest posts