Oil breathers ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobster

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a tube style breather to their bus?

Im just looking at the different breathers and really like these but not sure about the fitting options in a bus engine bay .

Hey Bobster, this is on my list of “” to do”” things. I have some parts collected to breath back in to a tower then to the filters and back into the carbys . It’s ready for the next time the motor comes out. It was ready before the motor came out last time too. Trouble is, every time my motor is out, I’m in a rush to get it back in to go somewhere, so just gets only what’s needed to get him back on the road. For the time being, I have a pipe connected to the oil tower and the other end goes into an old water bottle stood up behind the battery. Be careful to use oil proof pipes or the pipe will swell massively (like mine) and fill the bottle neck and create a bung. A couple of little vent holes around the neck let it breath and the gunge collects in the bottle, empty it about once every two years. :roll: :shock: :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, only the dry finest of bodges :lol: :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen: ;) :lol:

Is it a stock engine? If so you DO NOT need additional breathing. If it’s breathing heavy then issues lay else where.

K@rlos said:
Is it a stock engine? If so you DO NOT need additional breathing. If it’s breathing heavy then issues lay else where.

That’s just about spot on. You don’t need additional breathing on the proviso that you still have the stock arrangement. As soon as twin carbys are introduced most tend to lose their stock breathing arrangements. :shock: it’s like most improvements or alterations, it’s not as simple as it first appears.

Ozziedog.,,,,,, ,,, bloody Venturi effect. :mrgreen:

Ah good stuff! I personally use fast fab breather boxes mounted on the fire wall.

Behind the fan housing on the right hand side. Very near and compact solution I think.

Do you have only that hose coming off the fuel pump hole as a breather or is there any more vents? That is not enough even for a stock engine, the ID of that fitting is only 10mm. You need at least 16mm ID(the late stock breather is) or else it will leak oil from the pulley and other places.
Abel

atafonso said:
Do you have only that hose coming off the fuel pump hole as a breather or is there any more vents? That is not enough even for a stock engine, the ID of that fitting is only 10mm. You need at least 16mm ID(the late stock breather is) or else it will leak oil from the pulley and other places.
Abel

It’s fine. Fuel pump, oil filler and both rocker covers all vented to the breather box. Doesn’t leak a drop even if when it turns 7000rpm

I have a Bug Pack one mounted on the fan shroud, feeds come from the cylinder heads covers, outputs back to the filler neck.

Latest posts