Oil Leak? Help..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Dormobile

Reaction score
Just jacked the van up this pm, checking the brakes over between showers of torrential rain( :cry: ) as planning a summer trip to France / Spain.

Anyways noted what I thought was initially fuel leaking from the fuel tank. On closer inspection and a sniff don't reckon it is fuel but the oil is gearbox type, I think and is on the fuel tank itself, so possibly spraying up that way and @ the general area. It's around the rear left above the heat exchanger.. Any ideas experiecne of the likely cause and solution??

Ah bit of searching on ere and found a link, think this is my problem / solution.....http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best start ordering parts then! Any further top tips please advise ;)

Many thanks

You have answered your own question :lol:

If the gear oil is leaking from the output flange seal then you will see the oil on the adjacent surfaces.

I did mine recently, it was spraying up over the starter motor and everything making a right mess! It still leaks a little bit but nowhere near as bad. The thing I didn't do which I wish I had is replace the circlips. Good luck, it's awkward to get to but aren't all these things? :shock: :mrgreen:

Latest posts