Oil smells of fuel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above. I have read the threads and it could be the the fuel pump rod but what do i do? The pump is new done less than 300 miles. Any advice please. Thanks

Or get an electric fuel pump and golf fuel injection relay.

Installed a Facet Posi-Flow and filterking recently to my bus. Although you might not need the filterking if you pick the right pump output, I had the filter king in the garage anyway.

The golf FI relay is activated by the ignition pulses on the points side of the coil, so very easy to wire up and will cut power to the pump when the engine stops in an accident.
Cost about £25 for the pump and £12 for a relay, its peace of mind and they are built to withstand up to 85% ethanol I think; might be 100% ethanol proof but can't remember.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

sparkywig said:
If it's a repro fuel pump the diaphragm has gone. Nothing to do with the pushrod.
Either buy a decent quality fuel pump, or get an og pump and rebuild kit.

This ^^^ it really is pot luck with some of the very well know companies when it comes to fuel pumps that masquerade as originalish style :? I`ve had two from GSF that have lasted less than three months between them, and the third one has run for about two or three years . In your case it does sound like the gubbins and most likely the diaphragm have given up the ghost and allowing a small portion of fuel to leak internally into your motor. Don`t run your motor too long like this and don`t forget to change the oil once you`re sorted, that oil is foo barred :shock: But I think you knew that bit :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Easy fix though :mrgreen:

OK, have you checked the oil level, too see if petrol is in the oil.I have had a carb needle valve stick and fill the engine with fuel.And had to replace the needle and seat.

I'm having this exact issue at the moment:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My carbs seemed OK, next stop Fuel pump - new one on its way...

sparkywig said:
If it's a repro fuel pump the diaphragm has gone. Nothing to do with the pushrod.
Either buy a decent quality fuel pump, or get an og pump and rebuild kit.

Is this the kind of 'decent quality' pump that you are talking about? Do you have any other quality pump recommendations?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Fuel-Pump-Petrol-OE-Quality-Beetle-T1-Camper-Bus-Bay-T2-Ghia-Alternator/150830136720?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36823%26meid%3Df69afe06b79d42d3a03c5ea2435c052e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D181274020099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On reading this post I have just had a look at my fuel pump which looks old and is the pressed metal body type - which to me, as a newbie - looks like a cheap one.

I'm off to France in my bus (if there is any petrol left! :D ) soon and am trying to collect a small box of spares to plan for any simple breakdowns.

Thanks

If it's anything to go by, that's the type I've gone for, yes, (only from VW Heritage where they are a bit cheaper.)

iv just had the same thing bran new carbs dripping fuel into crank case after been stood a day or so, then smell coming from oil filler going into fan and through heater into cab,
took needle valves & seats out put t cut on the needle and turned it round and round full circles till it had a shiny line round tip making a nice seat,worked a treat, also check float level 6.5 mm from top of float to gasket when just in contact with valve but not moving it, with carb top vertical that should give you 36 mm to bottom of float,
and 12.5 mm from top of float to gasket when hanging down held horizontal,
and just to be on the safe side i fitted a petrol shut off solinoid

Clutching at straws maybe but, Been looking on tinterweb and have read that parking a bus nose up hill can result in fuel in oil. The reason I am clutching at such straws is I have in the last 200 miles put on a new carb and new fuel pump.

So am going to change the oil for the 3rd time this year and see what happens. Or am I being optimistic and should just throw on another fuel pump

thejinx said:
Clutching at straws maybe but, Been looking on tinterweb and have read that parking a bus nose up hill can result in fuel in oil. The reason I am clutching at such straws is I have in the last 200 miles put on a new carb and new fuel pump.

So am going to change the oil for the 3rd time this year and see what happens. Or am I being optimistic and should just throw on another fuel pump

Mine's been parked nose up for the last 8 years, only time I had petrol in the oil was because the fuel pump diaphragm had failed.

Ditto mine - in fact less than 150 in my case.

I strongly suspect there is a bad batch doing the rounds...

I'm not sure if its a bad batch or just more fuel have higher ethanol contents in them, which is making the rubber diaphragms perish in no time at all(also, the rubber used is probably piss poor). I think this is even more prominent in buses that don't do many miles, if the fuel runs back to the tank and the diaphragm becomes in contact with air then it will cracks.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Have you checked your carbs are not dripping after its stood a few hrs, surely if your pump diaframe was gone it wouldn't pump fuel to keep it running

Latest posts