opinion - new engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuty

Reaction score
Hi mates,

I'm looking for opinions to build an engine.

some data of what I think to do, but I await your feedback.

Engine case - autolinea 90.5 fullflow
Crankshaft - Counterweighted 69, like cbperformance
Camshafts - Engle 110
Barrel & piston - 1776 Forged Mahle
Cylinder Head - 40 x 35.5mm 90.5 Autolinea (for 1776)

All the rest is std i think, or?!

Is for drive with a beetle 1303S AT gearbox, to low the RPM and MPG, holidays and road trips.

Thanks

I sent 3 AutoLinea cases back due to bad machining.
Ended up having a stock case welded and machined.

I'd speak to an experienced engine builder for advice, try messaging Abel Atafonso on here. He can talk you through want you'll need for your particular application.
But if you're going for an already built case why stick with a stock throw crank? A stroker would give you much more low end torque.
Just my tuppence worth.

nuty said:
Hi mates,

Camshafts - Engle 110

Is for drive with a beetle 1303S AT gearbox, to low the RPM and MPG, holidays and road trips.

Thanks

That’s a good combo, I’ve fitted a few to both bugs and buses, however for more or less the same price you could get a stroker crank which would make for a much better bus motor and a 74mm crank will drop straight into a case without extra work. 90.5x74 gives you 1904cc.

I’m with sparky wig, Autolinea cases quality control is very hit and miss which considering what they cost is not acceptable. Besides a magnesium case is more than adequate for a mild engine like that, I’m putting about 200 hp through mine without issue.

I reed in some places like Autolinea cases is a good and reliable case, and other places to not buying this, wich ones you buy? tyanks

K@rlos said:
nuty said:
Hi mates,

Camshafts - Engle 110

Thanks

That’s a good combo, I’ve fitted a few to both bugs and buses, however for more or less the same price you could get a stroker crank which would make for a much better bus motor and a 74mm crank will drop straight into a case without extra work. 90.5x74 gives you 1904cc.

I’m with sparky wig, Autolinea cases quality control is very hit and miss which considering what they cost is not acceptable. Besides a magnesium case is more than adequate for a mild engine like that, I’m putting about 200 hp through mine without issue.

With 1904cc the reliable is the same?

Speak to Atofonso on the forum he will point you in the right direction he built our 1776 "He's a genius"

vinvan said:
Speak to Atofonso on the forum he will point you in the right direction he built our 1776 "He's a genius"

Where i can search? Thanks

If an engine is built and engineered correctly any size is reliable.

I’ve been running a 2110 for years and done 1000’s of miles without issue and I drive it hard. Only time i took it to bits was to upgrade it and make more power.

Cheap, reliable and fast. You can only pick 2

My £0.01😊

Autolinea cases as Sparkywig and Karlos said, better not use them as there are too many issues with quality control and they require a considerable amount of time to make them work well. They are heavier, engine will run hotter as well, so unless i am building a horse power monster like a turbo 350bhp and above, i always prefer a new mag case.

Crank- if 69mm is what you want, go with a welded stock like DPR or a Scat 4340. Next best is 4340 CB. You might be fine with Empi or SSP as long as they mic properly. I found Empi to have a smaller diameter on the crank gear section, resulting in a not so tight gear to crank clearance more than once, so i prefer not to Use them anymore. The SSP is the same as the CB but without the same quality control; inspected properly and with measurements right they can be used. Always balance the rotating assembly as they are miles off.
I would go with a stroker as suggested if you buying a new crank, like a 78mm to make it a 2007cc’s.

B’s and P’s- i have been using AA’s with zero issues. They always are within less than 0.5g and perform really well unless you want to go turbo. The Mahle forged are great but i have to buy two or three sets to mix and match and get the weight to a balanceable state. They come sometimes within 10g which is impossible to balance without seriously compromising the strength of the pistons.

Heads- i have stopped using Auto Linea as the quality of the alloy is like cheese, try to machine and you will know what i mean. I now use AA 500’s, they have a modern combustion chamber heart shaped and also long reach spark plugs. Also the alloy is very decent👌
40x35.5 is too big imho for the 1776cc. You will loose port velocity at low rpm and therefore torque down low. The same AA’s 35.5x32 properly ported will make the same power on above combo without sacrificing the low end, i guarantee that!😜

Cam- the 110 is a well known good performer, on the 1776 for a Bus i am 50/50 but if you are the kind of driver that likes revving more, than i would say do it. If you drive mostly between 2-3.5k rpm’s i would choose another cam. Dual twin choke carbs will exploit the potential of the 110 if chosen, like 36 Dell’s or 40 IDF’s.

Gearbox- the 1303 will fit a Splitty not a Bay without heavy mods. Gearing is too tall, you want your engine turning around 3.3-3.5k rpm’s at cruising speeds for best cooling or else you will need an external cooler. My suggestion is a stock 002 box with 4.57 final ratio. John Walklett can build you a great box for cheap👍

Abel🤓

Able

Ive noted you've mentioned the AA pistons - Ive been looking around and only ones Ive come across are cast. Are these the ones you mean, or should I be looking for forged?

cheers

Bluesnailman said:
Able

Ive noted you've mentioned the AA pistons - Ive been looking around and only ones Ive come across are cast. Are these the ones you mean, or should I be looking for forged?

cheers
Yes they are not forged, but are hypereuthetic. Cast only are of a lower grade, the next best is hyper then you have forged.
For a street driven mild performance normally aspirated engine, the hypers are all you need. For high rpm, high power and boosted applications then forged is the way to go.

Abel😃

K@rlos said:
I’ve been running a 2110 for years and done 1000’s of miles without issue and I drive it hard. Only time i took it to bits was to upgrade it and make more power.

Wich speks you have? thanks

nuty said:
K@rlos said:

2110cc
Mahle 90.5mm forged pistons & barrels
Chevy journal 82mm crank & 5.5 “H beam rods
Engle fk10 cam
Scat light weight lifters
Straight cut timing gears
Scat 1.45:1 rockers
044 ultra mag cnc ported heads with 42x37.5 valves
10:1 compression ratio
Weber 48 IDA carbs
Scat-trac intake Manifolds
1 3/4” header & mondo muffler
Mallory CDI ignition system

Fully lightened, balanced and blue printed.

hypereuthetic....

Not a word I knew, but it's on here and it's on Wikipedia so must be true. All to do with the quantity of silicon that limits thermal expansion. Every day a learning day!

K@rlos said:
nuty said:
K@rlos said:

2110cc
Mahle 90.5mm forged pistons & barrels
Chevy journal 82mm crank & 5.5 “H beam rods
Engle fk10 cam
Scat light weight lifters
Straight cut timing gears
Scat 1.45:1 rockers
044 ultra mag cnc ported heads with 42x37.5 valves
10:1 compression ratio
Weber 48 IDA carbs
Scat-trac intake Manifolds
1 3/4” header & mondo muffler
Mallory CDI ignition system

Fully lightened, balanced and blue printed.

Now this is super fun😎😎😜😜

Latest posts