Pain in't arse

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitted my rock n rock upholstered seats, found someone to upholster them cheap, shit quality mind Dekikahs they are certainly not but should do the job until I can afford some decent ones.

5 months and still not on the road, taking on these buses is like having a second job! If i didn't work for myself it would be twice as long and i have had very little welding to do and the list of things i hav is a mile long, hopefully tomorrow (another day from work) I may be in a position to fire it up. Couldn't be arsed crawling under the engine being a nice day so i thought i would treat myself? By 'fannying' around making some crap door cards and staining them i found at the back of the sink.

Just on the doors for the future there is a to do list a mile long, new second hand door pulls, winders, door catch plates, window scrapers re-new 1/4 lights oh and spray the doors etc etc - Christ i need a drink!

it seems Sparkywig has had a shit day so i thought i would add my shite day - there could be a theme here. Been working hard as fook to get the bus running having done everything on it ourselves anyway got the bus naturally without engine so have scraped all the bits over time together, and been my first vw and not knowing anyone it was a task so, the cases I acquired weren't bad but someone had converted it to full flow! By drilling the oil-way halfway up and then plugging it with aluminium rod and then welding, yes got the engine fired it round and it weeps - the only thing not done by ourselves - there is a moral there - so today engine back out and try and get it stripped enough so I can get it to a TIG guy to weld up - for fooks sake if you can't do it properly don't do it - pissed off! On the plus side probably good practice taking it out as i am sure it won't be the last over the years - maybe when I bolt it back I might put it on some quick release catches for next time? :suicide:

subheatadey said:
What a palaver getting my Sunroof to run as it should, i can now safely say I am an expert on Sunroof operating mechanisms! :party0006:

I may be pm-ing you, gotta sort mine out, not looking forward to it....

Hi, not a problem - the Bentley book is pretty good on Sunroofs but just take your time, get in touch if you have any probs if you have original cables lucky you i bought some cables from Eisparts and as usual repro crap i had to file the ends as they were eating into the aluminium extrusion - another ball ache. If it comes to it we can meet up at one of the rallys and sort it out then. Or they maybe someone near you who has one that could nip over and give you a hand?

Right, the engine casing saga, I have just got back from Mr TIG welder who has welded the casing and hopefully sorted the leak, he leak tested while i was there so it should be good though it's a different scenario when you apply pressure, heat, expansion, vibration and hot oil into the mix - I think i'm getting cynical - really would like a second set of cases for backup. Anyway build it back up again and get the fekker back in. Need to get my positive head back on! :party0006: :party0010: :party0002: :party0049: :party0003:

Fekking hell, the weld is no good it leaks! So, It will be stripped down again and i will grind off the weld he did and give him another chance. What beats me he is supposed to be a welder that's his job? :suicide:

Heh Oh, got the case back from the welder 'again' still the weld looks like a bag of shite but it seems to be holding pressure, so rebuild the engine again and lets get the fekker back in and fired up and see what other joys there is to behold!

Aah the joy, kicking it uphill. Like with everything i have either replaced it or repaired it where possible so naturally when I finally got a second hand alternator of someone it was only right that the bearings would be fucked, so strip it pull it and stick some new ones in - another £13.00 groan. The only thing I haven't buggered around with so far! is the gearbox apart from draining and refilling so here's hoping that when I get the little darling on the road that doesn't fuck up - but then if it does nothing new.

Adrian, you have done a great job so far.
Them old ladies could be a real pain in the arse, we all knew what we got ourselves into, right from the start, didn't we?
The point is that eventually you are going to have a van you could be proud of, to own, to drive and to camp in.

Restoring them fuckers was never cheap, ask me...I pay all the price you guys pay to start with, for a part and then pay for it to be carried all the way to Pakistan after months...yes months (the very well packed z-bed hinges arrived today here that you sent off on January 15!) and then clean/restore the parts only to be placed on a shelf to be used when its time to restore!

Patience is the key mate...keep the good work coming!

Thanks, It was the only solution as I don't like the speakers in door cards or the front panel and it was a easy fix just a bit of ply and bolt them through the two handbrake brackets plus the added bonus that you can't see them :party0010:

Todayi actually got the fekker via it;s own means of propulsion to move onto the drive so here we have the pil of shit almost in a state to attempt a MOT, shit loads of money spent, shit loads of money still to spend and it looks like this. My accelerator cable turned up today as did my bottom roller bearing all repro shit, the cable is just a wire and the roller didn't have bearings utter bollocks - they really are taking the piss!

This is the better side!

You know youre an Early Bayer when you've spent enough money to buy a brand new Merc...But all you have is a beat up old van on the drive :lol:
Believe me ....I KNOW :shock:
Don't give up....Just accept it will always be a work in progress....they are never ever finished :lol:
You've been working real hard and you should be pleased with all you've done
Now go get a beer....you deserve it.

Another panel made and covered, wax oiled and ready to fit, self tappers are the future! Just the top side lining and the headliner - can i be bothered? I don't want to tempt fate but i maybe booking it in for a MOT this week once i've found some cheap arse insurance, hand brake adjusted check clutch adjusted check no doubt it will piss water in once it hits the rain most of the rubbers are concrete but Richard Branson says no!

Latest posts