Paint or no paint?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daverob73

Reaction score
Practically every panel has a dent scratch or a bit of surface rust. I've had the front valance welded (big dent) and the battery tray was shot and the rust went through the rear quarter, so that needed welding.

I went to a paint shop and they suggested I left it as it was, just put clear laquer on the rust to stop it spreading any further and keep an eye on it. He said it may even devalue it if I painted it.

Some of it is a nice patina but some of it just looks like rust bubbles under the paint.

I love the cellulose paint look, but I will have to paint the bits I've had welded, so that might look odd painted while the rest isn't.

In your opinion, would it be better to leave it as it is? or paint the whole thing? :?:

IMG_0551_zps120a3604.jpg

IMG_0553_zpsae25d58c.jpg

fe9e44b3.jpg

52ddabfe.jpg

981fe876.jpg

I suspect I might be in a minority, but I'd be looking at getting it all painted, especially if it is a van that gets used rather than living in a dry garage all year.

Original paint is nice, but (no offence) yours looks to be getting near to the tipping point where it could start to deteriorate faster if nothing is done...
You already appear to have rust forming on the front arches, lower doors and around the bottom of the headlamp bowls - all tricky places to repair well.

If you don't get it painted, and just keep on painting the repairs, eventually it'll look like this...

DSC_0235.jpg

:?

There is one caveat to that though - make sure you get a decent paint job. A cheap £500 blowover would de-value it. A decent job, with engine bay and all the details might cost 5-10 times that, but would (IMO) add value to the van in the long run - maybe not as much as you've spent on the paint job, but these things will rarely make you money in the long run.

Whatever you do, don't forget to get it cavity sealed and undersealed. That'll do wonders for improving any potential rust issues, especially if it lives outdoors.

Thanks, that really helps.

Deep down I wasn't happy with covering the small rust areas with laquer. I'm sure the rust would still get worse and then I'll be replacing panels and more welding! :cry:

Anyone know any good paint shops around Woking, Lightwater, Chobham in Surrey?

if you're gonna get it painted, then personally I'd get it transported to Midland Paintwerks and have them do it... Just check out Mr Brightsides gallery thread... I've never used them myself, but I was blown away when i saw what they did on his bus...

just my 2p worth..

Id get it painted.
Just make sure you take pictures from start to finnish. Then if you ever decide to sell you have photos to prove it hasnt had a filler job and a quicky blow over.

Rich

I spoke to Midland paintwerks, had a good chat about it. Really nice helpful people.

Going to get a quote then take it from there. MrBrightsides bus is stunning, they've done a brilliant job. Like the interior he's got too :mrgreen:

I'm using the bus as a camper with my family not a show bus, so not too worried about getting all the ripples out. I just don't want it to get eaten by rust. :shock:

You won't be disappointed with Stuart and Drew. They finished our bus in July and did an amazing job. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Paint it! Mine is in a similar condition to yours and although I find it quite novel having a ratty and beaten up old camper, I know that surface rust will advance into full blown rot in the fullness of time. So I've took the bull by the horns and it's going in for a paint job and any rust repairs in November :D

dont paint it! blow in the bits as close as possible that have been repaired and polish it to buggery :lol:

just keep an eye on the rust,its only light surface ...personal opinion :msn4:

Latest posts