Peculiar carb/choke/float chamber observation...fuel leak!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olly the Ozbus

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I don't manage to get on here any more, thanks to a little monster who crawls around the house throwing my stuff on the floor, but I have a wee problem that I'd like to put to the oracle...

I sometimes had fuel smells int he cabin so I replaced the breather elbow in the vent and the breather t-piece at the top of the engine bay and all seemed to be fixed. However, in the last few days I've noticed that if I start the engine without first setting ther choke (by blipping the throttle prior to starting) then the fuel line from the pump to the carb gets damp and I get furl smells. If I start having first set the choke then no problemo and no smells! Just wondering if anyone else has experience this and what the best course of action would be to fix it- I was thinking that it might be the float chamber being too full but I can't see why setting the choke would change this (other than using more fuel when first started)...

Any suggestions or pearls of wisdom gratefully recieved:)

Cheers,

Olly

My major suggestion would be to check for fuel leaks and replace the hose with the plain rubber type without the cloth as I hate cloth hose with a passion, infact I'm not really struck on any type of braided hose to be honest.

The obvious place to check for a leak would be the carb inlet union as it may be tracking back down the hose from here if back pressure builds from a closed float. It may be that the hose is damaged or you need a new clip.

Gill.

Cheers for the reply Gill- it sounds plausible and after a trouble-free holiday the same thing happened this morning...I have a set of the volksbolts fuel line to replace the braided line with and I should start with the pump-carb section and see if it helps :mrgreen: Could this also indicate a problem with the float valve or is it usual to generate back pressure, which would go unnoticed in the event the fuel lines were capable of resisting it?

Cheers,

Olly

I`m guessing the needle and seat may be a little worn and keeps ninety nine percent of the fuel out of the float chamber when the motors running or you`ve given it a little squirt of the carbs to `set the choke` the needle can just about cope with the fuel ingress balancing act that it does. If you pop the needle and seat out, I`d expect it to have a nasty little ridge in it,,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, On the plus side,,,,,,, they is cheap as !!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Latest posts