Phatboy muffler question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke

Reaction score
I need a new exhaust for my van because my monza 4 tip is just aweful. I was thinking of getting a phatboy (or mondo, are they the same?) muffler, both for gas flow and awesome looks, but i was wondering...is my van too low for it? i mean, they look pretty huge, is anyone with low vans running them?
Here is a few pictures of the van and the exhaust, waddayewfink?

right.jpg

rear.jpg

left.jpg

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_2_bay/phat-boy-muffler-j14892.html

I think your right. The aftermarket exhausts that hang out the back are low and on a lowered van they will catch on speed bumps etc. If your engine is stock or near stock then your best off using a stock exhaust. There are a couple of stainless larger bore versions that approximate the position of the stock exhaust but they are pricey. Otherwise theres a tuckaway option but they do get in the way when doing valve clearances.

I fitted a mondo at the weekend and it's fine. But i am only 1 spline out at the rear I suspect you are 2 splines?

Phatboy on mine, sounds awesome when you floor it. Down 1 spline at the rear would like to go lower but have an additional sump added so 'tis best I don't.

P.S. I think the the Mondo and Phatboy are different in appearance. Not sure which sounds the best though.

Yep, if i remember correctly i am 2 splines down. Im tempted to just get it and try it, if its a mild steel one im not to bothered about battering it, but i dont wanna pay out for a ceramic/stainless one and ruin it straight away!
I cant go for stock because im running twin carbs...and ...well... because i want a phatboy hahaha

Here's my Mondo on a Streetmax header. I had to space the bumper away and shape it round the box but it's all good now.

35626_405838433826_510453826_4315673_508948_n.jpg

Make sure you get a merged header and not a 4 into 1 as you'll have to cut the bumper with one of them.

Oh yeah, trust me, yours isn't low enough to worry about it scraping!

Slammed said:
Oh yeah, trust me, yours isn't low enough to worry about it scraping!
Good i hope not! just avoid speedbumps and mot centres!
Heres the clearance at the back
to bumper 10"
to existing single quietpack 4.5"
IMGP3659.jpg

Latest posts