piece of shit (71 westy)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
after last times fun, I jacked it up to the highest settings on the axle stands
6a8a1ba7.jpg

which bent the exhaust :D
a36b2d15.jpg

replaced the split pipe between the brake fluid reservoir behind the seat and the reservoir on top of the master cylinder (thanks Rob b for the spare pipe you donated) then found another leak,
that bastard v v v
2541df0c.jpg

took it all out and stripped it down, the seal is not perished or torn, so must have had a bit of shit in it, to be right there has been a fair bit of shit in the old brake fluid so I'm gonna soak the cylinder and the reservoirs then flush the system, it will all be new then.
38ff4b2f.jpg

what sort of bell end does this to wires :?
ab760f73.jpg

but after a closer look the wiring is not as bad as i thought. I've got to extend the lighting wires and all the messy wiring has been added on for stereos and things, so I'll be able to remove all then without to much hassle and run cleaner neater wires for the stereo, so I'm happy about that, but another weekend passes and it's not back on it wheels
f883a4e6.jpg

Coming along now chap.
I had a similar issue with my brake system leaking from every place imaginable when I got it think I probably had it apart 10 times tracking them all.

by the end of the week I will have replaced, rebuilt and made new pipes for all of the front, it's only started as a new flexie hose :D but i'm glad it will all be new / sorted

i'd renew everything in the braking system to be fair. its not mega money and its worth it for peace of mind.
i left my rear wheel cylindes because they looked good. then one popped on christmas day ha ha :oops:

I'm going to dude, as the front is jacked up so high, the roof at the back is at chin height ... so I took another ( :roll: sorry) picture
f6995425.jpg

and the front
d4ecd9fd.jpg

I finally got round to putting the brake servo and reservoir into soak the old crap off, I have an hour spare so I started on the wiring.
b3a9321e.jpg

after I removed the stereo and add on wires it not to bad,
Nice splicing :? now removed :D
cdfa3ca3.jpg

I got a steering column with the bus, I removed both ignition switch's and they are different. I take it the other was off a real early and 71's have 5 wires (2 for ignition lives - lights or radio or something)
c347a558.jpg

I'll get a late one from GFS (fitted the ear;y one for now just to start the bus). I've found front loom of a late bay in a box of bits I have, so at least any wires that need replacing or extending can be done in the same colours :D

Glad to see your getting on I took my master cylinder apart on
My dinner one of the seals is nakered so need a rebuild kit :/

Rob

dubscum said:
cheers dude think one of my seals is no good, you wanna go half's on a rebuild kit :p

Lol toms on the case for me as Vw heritage as out of stock so will see what's what tomorrow

Rob

I've had a double busy week, 10 hour days outside in the rain the working at the farm after, doing 12 days on 2 days off (to buy part but the Mrs don't know that :msn4: ) so not touched it, but i have been gathering parts, boring ones seals and shit, bought some dull knackered head lights and indicators that should suit it a treat.

final parts of the brakes :shock: how do they sleep at night ?
58674304.jpg

Sound hard work dude bet your loving all this rain then dude

I've had a nightmare trying to get seals for my master cylinder I've ended up emailing ate an they have replied with the new part numbers for the seals that I need but the main suppliers ain't willing to order the seals for some gay reason so I've emailed ate again lol

Rob

Latest posts