Poor running under load.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyh

Reaction score
OK all, I'm after what I'm sure won't be the last bit of engine advice. Our engine is a recon TP1600 installed this summer, standard carb and single quiet pack. We've so far done about 250 miles of the running-in period, treating her nice and gently, generally on runs of up to 30 miles. On the last trip the odd misfire was apparent, particularly if changing up early. Then on an attempted run out this morning, (beautiful weather, shame not to 8) ) the misfire was noticeably worse. It now seems to be whenever the engine is under load, and the only way to keep her moving is with revs and a bit of clutch slip; hardly ideal for running in I realise. Anyway, trip was curtailed and with a following wind we got home without too many dramas.

We had just been starting to get a little confidence in the engine, (it had to go back to the supplier twice after seizing before we were supplied with a different unit), but that has now evaporated. So, what to do next? I'm guessing a check of the distributor and points is first, but all the ancillaries on the engine are new so I'll be a little hacked off if that's the problem already. Any other ideas folks?

On the plus side I guess this means I won't be tempted to just leave the engine alone over the winter, but might have a bit of motivation to sort out the 1776 that I've promised the bus!

You've got to start with the basics. Even if they are new. It's a lot less hassle doing points and condensor than pulling heads off just to find nothing wrong. One other thing is to check for any air leaks from around the manifold etc. I always find a can of carb cleaner good for this. Spray it on the joints if the revs go up then it's a good sign it's leaking. Remember it is flammable though

Had exactly this last month on my bus. changed all the obvious. plugs leads etc, but it didn't cure it. then whilst reversing to bus into the garage it had a little cough, and then ran fine, and has been fine since, so my guess was some dirt in the carb that blow out.

Latest posts