possible issue with registration... chassis tags dont match

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StripedHemi

Reaction score
hey guys,

so I have just got my bus and all the import papers/title etc all there ready to register (when its on the road)

looking around the bus and checking stuff out ive notice that the chassis stamp by the battery tray and the 2 tags behind the seats don't match the numbers of the one facing the windscreen!

now before everyone gets too excited myself and a buddy have looked at each one carefully and none have been tempered with! never removed etc.. here's the issue, the number is only 1 didgit out!

the chassis stamp and the two tags behind the seats read 229127845 the screen one reads 239127845 now the serial numbers are correct on all they all match, its just the second didgit that is shown as a '3' on the screen but a '2' everywhere else

when I decoded the 'M' Plate (seen below in my sig) it comes up with the stamped chassis number, 229127845

whilst it doesn't bother me personally im concerned that i'll have issues with registration as all the paperwork is detailed with the screen number (the only one that's incorrect)

has anyone else come across this? im assuming it was a misread number back in the day when the screen tag was stamped, anyone pass on any experiences?

thanks in advance :?

only american busses have a screen tag anyway so i'd keep quiet, it's highly likely you won't get a visual inspection from vosa anyway to be honest what else can you do? if you start shouting too loud it will open a big can of worms in my opinion.

it does sound a bit odd that they are so close, but different, but a dash can easlly be swapped, I would be more concerned if the other numbers were different.

just don't mention it dude.

That kinda was my plan but the dash number is the one that all the paperwork is written in.. :/

What about the mot, which number should I use lol :) I'd have to match the paperwork to get it registered but if it isn't a recognised number I'm worried that's where the problems will stem from

Sounds kind of strange but I'd almost say it was a factory error. But I didn't think the Germans made mistakes. ;)

mine came in from texas and import paperwork came with the wrong year on. Stated 1976 not 69.

Kept stum and all went through.

Fingers crossed for you bud

I reckon the dash has been swaped out at some time. As for rego, mine was an arizona bus, Arizona have there own vin system, doesn't use the manufacturers number, so my bus came in on the AZ vin, and I mot'd it on the VW vin. At rego time, I put all the paperwork in, and obviously they wanted to inspect it, but this wasn't a problem because it was obvious that all the numbers existed on the car and it was just a paper work thing. I was suprised tho that the inspector at DVLA checked the stamped engine bay number first, then compared that to the tag behind the drivers seat. When you go, explain it as a 'dash swap', and I think you'll be fine.

neilswheels said:
I reckon the dash has been swaped out at some time. As for rego, mine was an arizona bus, Arizona have there own vin system, doesn't use the manufacturers number, so my bus came in on the AZ vin, and I mot'd it on the VW vin. At rego time, I put all the paperwork in, and obviously they wanted to inspect it, but this wasn't a problem because it was obvious that all the numbers existed on the car and it was just a paper work thing. I was suprised tho that the inspector at DVLA checked the stamped engine bay number first, then compared that to the tag behind the drivers seat. When you go, explain it as a 'dash swap', and I think you'll be fine.

I think that's a pretty good assumption of what i'll have to do... however I very much doubt the dash has been changed, what are the chances of the dash being changed to one with a chassis number that is identical except the model number? I mean if the one of the last 6 digits were different id say yeh but those are the serial numbers and are correct, the first 3 numbers related to the model/date don't they?

personally I think its a mistake at the factory that has gone un noticed till now..

aspro said:
Sounds kind of strange but I'd almost say it was a factory error. But I didn't think the Germans made mistakes. ;)

Adolf made a few.

this happened to me ,but it wasnt picked up till i took it for mot ,the tester filled a form out on the screen and another log book arrived a week or so later :) .

Latest posts