Power Steering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig763

Reaction score
Has anybody converted or thinking of converting their bay to power steering? Saw and drove a demo bay today and was impressed, however befrre i take the plunge I just want peoples comments on pros and cons.

Cheers

Craig

I think a late Bedford rascal had a power rack and pinion, that can be converted (obviously with some fab work and removing the steering box) and can provide power steering on a bay, but you will have to be handy

Craig763 said:
Has anybody converted or thinking of converting their bay to power steering? Saw and drove a demo bay today and was impressed, however befrre i take the plunge I just want peoples comments on pros and cons.

Cheers

Craig
there was a company at breeze doing power kits for bays i will try and find website for you ,i sat in there demo bus and was hooked ,so was the wife ,she wont drive the bus as the steering is to heavy .the kit they do is very easy to fit

http://www.vwkampers.com/services/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't vouch for this personally as have never had a proper look but they may have been showing it at Breeze, I recal it from another local show over the summer.

Have seen a company called Lite Steering. They have an Electical Power Steering system. Was intersted in finding what everybody thought as it is a lot easier, however in the words of my brother "you're taking the originality away from it"! Also if anybody has power steering already fitted whether it's worth the money.

Cheers

Craig

dubscum said:
I think a late Bedford rascal had a power rack and pinion, that can be converted (obviously with some fab work and removing the steering box) and can provide power steering on a bay, but you will have to be handy

Nick Rackham off here is knocking up a home brew powersteering for his 69 I believe. See what he has to say.

Karl

Lite Steer do it, I'm looking at getting one of their systems fitted as long as we don't have any more nasty surprises!

pow said:
Lite Steer do it, I'm looking at getting one of their systems fitted as long as we don't have any more nasty surprises!

I was lucky enough to have a good look at the Lite Steer kit at Creative Coachworks open day earlier this year.

It is a good piece of kit, solid as a rock and does was it says on the tin...the resultant steering was light as a feather At that time it was only available as a 'fitted' option pushing the cost to around the £1k mark, but I was told that there were plans to offer a DIY version in the future. Not sure how far that has developed.

Personally I love the feel of the heavy old steering of an early bay, however I might change my mind as I get older and my shoulders become less forgiving. :D

Latest posts