Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, Good to see you are making some progress and I'm not the only one who's been doing this for 4+ years now :(
You have some nice looking work going on there so keep at it!

Mags said:
Hi there, Good to see you are making some progress and I'm not the only one who's been doing this for 4+ years now :(
You have some nice looking work going on there so keep at it!

Thanks mate :D

8) Work, nice that you can get back on it now.

I do have a question, you have put something over the weld and said it's rust protector, from the pictures it looks a kind of bluey white colour. i think i have seen this in a few peoples build threads. What is it? what does it do?

Ok thats two questions but im not sure if you use it on existing rust or put it on to prevent future rust.

Look forward to the next update

Woz

Glad to see you are back on your feet (pun intended).

As for the brakes; I wouldn't worry too much. I freed up the front brakes on the pink van in less than an hour!

Great to see more progress Andy, keep it up

woz said:

I do have a question, you have put something over the weld and said it's rust protector, from the pictures it looks a kind of bluey white colour. i think i have seen this in a few peoples build threads. What is it? what does it do?

Ok thats two questions but im not sure if you use it on existing rust or put it on to prevent future rust.

Woz

Cheers Woz (ask as many questions as you need as don't mind helping if I can)!
The stuff is Bilt Hamber Hydrate-80 (see Here.
It is more for converting rusted metal to a none rusted version, ideal on welds to be honest as these can soon oxidize and change to rust.
Once dry, can then be covered in primer then painted so nice to know it will be fully protected :)
Hope that answered your question(s).

gvee said:
Glad to see you are back on your feet (pun intended).

As for the brakes; I wouldn't worry too much. I freed up the front brakes on the pink van in less than an hour!

Great to see more progress Andy, keep it up

Thanks 'G'.
Not to worried - put the back wheels back on last night (and the cover) so hopefully this weekend get the back end down and the front in the air and the brake piston freed.

:)

gninnam said:
woz said:

Woz

Cheers Woz (ask as many questions as you need as don't mind helping if I can)!
The stuff is Bilt Hamber Hydrate-80 (see Here.
It is more for converting rusted metal to a none rusted version, ideal on welds to be honest as these can soon oxidize and change to rust.
Once dry, can then be covered in primer then painted so nice to know it will be fully protected :)
Hope that answered your question(s).

Thanks - just had a read of the product and it looks spot on. Best i get some on order!

OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Do I hear the wheels of industry back in motion ??? Nice to hear too, I don`t normally post in the Gallery but seeing as it`s you, and seeing as you seem to be back in action, and seeing as I spotted it somehow ;) I thought I`d have a quick peruse or two. And a big yes to that blue black stuff Bilt Hamber or such a thing as protects newly welded and possibly the most vulnerable to rust. So we can have you back in full swing soon,, looking forward to it mate :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, In a field somewhere this summer perhaps ????? ROLL ON SUMMER !!! :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Hoping to start to get on it more and more over time so ta mucca :)
Yep Bilt Hamber type stuff - needed in the UK i'm afraid :(

Cheers bud (how's the hand control coming on ;) )

gninnam said:
Hoping to start to get on it more and more over time so ta mucca :)
Yep Bilt Hamber type stuff - needed in the UK i'm afraid :(

Cheers bud (how's the hand control coming on ;) )

I think you know the answer to that one ,, the only hand control I`ve had anything to do with lately is on the lap top when the Mrs has gone to bed :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, :msn4: :roll: ;) :roll: :msn4:

ozziedog said:
I think you know the answer to that one ,, the only hand control I`ve had anything to do with lately is on the lap top when the Mrs has gone to bed :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, :msn4: :roll: ;) :roll: :msn4:

:sick0006:

So - managed to get an hour in today but not too much to show for it.

Sorted out the seam sealer on the repair made last weekend - nothing exciting but a few pics anyway:

On top
20140119_151316_zps782c2b8d.jpg

20140119_151338_zps27ba3ef0.jpg

Underneath
20140119_151328_zps2af9a88a.jpg

Also got the off-side front wheel off to see if I can get it rotating and I did - again not an exciting pic:
20140119_151350_zps5b72d372.jpg

If the weather is good next week, will do some further measuring and see about the best way of getting it in the garage.

Cheers

Very busy with work and life so hardly any time spent on the bus :(
This weekend managed to get a good few days in and finished the nearside rear quarter so a few pics:

Started with this:
20140415_113754_zpsm0q6aym7.jpg

Used one of the cheap arches from GFS, but did what I needed, so tacked the part on after trimming a little:
20140415_133217_zpszzm1zdul.jpg

Then cut a filler piece for the top and welded that in:
20140415_142156_zpsbxuxwivs.jpg

Started to grind the welds down:
20140415_150240_zpsvkqmjbzh.jpg

Some zinc primer over the bare metal:
20140415_161936_zpsubxkxurq.jpg

A bit of filler, primer and paint:
20140420_102146_zpsqhdqop2j.jpg

Not 100% but good enough for now - will seam seal on the inside over the next few days :)

Also, after looking for an offside rear quarter cut for close to 4 months finally got one from MCJ (cheers Mark for having to put up with me) at the end of last month:

20140328_170420_zpslrokabnv.jpg

20140328_171345_zps9w6yuccg.jpg

Underneath (battery tray needs repairing:
20140328_171516_zps2pabkrhq.jpg

20140328_172151_zpsnw2sivjg.jpg

Not sure whether to remove or patch - will decide when I start to cleanup the part

Plus a bit of a ding on the edge of the bottom but should dolly out:
20140328_171611_zpsu0aqtsce.jpg

No spiders that I can see as yet so that's good :)

Plan is to cut it to a rough size then strip it of paint and loose rust then start to prepare the van for the fitting...

gvee said:
Hope you're not working yourself too hard, Andy!
Nice to see a bit more fresh stuff going back in :D

Cheers George - steady away as they say ;)

Started to move some more metal from the offside chassis - a lot more will have to be removed than I hoped but ho-hum....

A couple of crappy pics:

20140424_185707_zpsvlqfjjmn.jpg

20140424_185724_zpsqpq2bufz.jpg

Also, moved the van (first time in 18 months) so that is a bit more level and safer to work on:

20140427_161743_zps55yu9klc.jpg

20140427_162037_zpsiup2y9iz.jpg

20140427_173317_zpsidzf0t0d.jpg

Looking forward to getting the other rear quarter done now :D

You make it look like a real life lego camper van!! :lol:

Quality skills.
And when its finished it will be 100% solid... not a filler bus & you have an awesome thread to prove it.

8)

Latest posts