Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aircooler said:
Looks good! Like your attention to the detail! Good work!
Best regards
Reto
Many thanks Reto.
Problem with detail is it seems to take forever......

The van is still fighting me........

Started to remove the remainder of the brake pipes and also the brake pressure regulator.
Pipes were no problem but both the bolts holding the regulator sheared........

Can I prise the regulator off then try and get the bolts out?

Pics...

20161112_174755_zpsui2ohzy2.jpg

20161112_174748_zpsrcjxxjqt.jpg

Decided to put a cutting disk in the grinder - cut off te easiest to get to then I could swing the regulator and managed to get it off.
Was left with the threaded part of the bolt so screwed on some bolts to see if I could weld these on then look to get them out, but the rain started and also the light was fading so started to clean up the regulator.

The chassis area:
20161113_153151_zpsqd6prpp1.jpg

Before:

20161113_153244_zps0caqbakm.jpg

After:

20161113_163229_zpshpmmcbri.jpg

20161113_163251_zpsllkvwvrd.jpg

Need to get the remains of the bolt out but should be ok.

Will give it a full deep clean then a touch of primer.
Then continue to sort out the chassis around that area.

Hurrah - got the steering box out :):):)

20161127_123106_zpspsjhgm4f.jpg

A massive thanks to Graham at Midland Early Bay for lending me his pitman tool - this worked within a few turns of the socket - this is what I used:

20161127_132033_zpste258dvd.jpg

So, a few picks of the box before I tidied it up.

20161127_123119_zpsgkx1guz9.jpg

(The seal looks to be in good nick :))

20161127_123132_zpsinmjraqs.jpg

(This seal is toast but the main one is looking good underneath it)

The chassis where the steering box was - on the box side it is solid so good news:

20161127_123223_zpspxe6mvgm.jpg

On the other side though a hole but not to difficult to fix so not to bad:

20161127_123257_zpstcky7z2a.jpg

The steering box after a bit of TLC:

20161127_144716_zpstae5vuri.jpg

20161127_144728_zps7jztw9ps.jpg

The oil is full and looks good - what do you guys think:

20161127_144622_zpspgs0wqbs.jpg

20161127_144627_zpsomu68rqk.jpg

Will allow me to get on with the cleaning so very happy :)

Dude ! Looking good fella, can't wait to see your bus rolling , it will be worth it Andy keep up the great work

toffo24 said:
Dude ! Looking good fella, can't wait to see your bus rolling , it will be worth it Andy keep up the great work
Thanks - one day ;)

Aircooler said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:
If there is a EB award for stamina and perseverance
Bud you have it ! 8)

My words! You do a great job andy!
Best regards
Reto
Cheers Reto :oops:
Wish I had somewhere indoors so I could continue when the weather is crap and the days are short....

Good to see you are still going, I feel for you as I started mine outside and ended up moving inside a filthy barn, but what a difference it makes!
Couple of things I thought worth a mention, I believe primer is porous and its not a good idea to leave primer as the top coat for an extended length of time outside. I know you have it covered but in this weather it will be getting damp. After I had gone back to bare metal (or as good as I could get it) I used an epoxy 2 pack paint that is non-porous but unfortunately not cheap either. I might be wrong but worth checking out as you don't want your hard work starting to rust again.
I used this stuff: http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic-rust-proofing-paint/c28117/ It's very thick (it says don't thin more than a few %) so I mostly brushed it but I did manage to spray it on the underside, although it was very slow as the paint gun didn't like it. Have a look at the bottom of this page: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23320&start=40

Also, I found a great way of removing old underseal was to heat it up with a heat gun/paint stripper and then it wipes away pretty easily with rags. Obviously you get through a sh*t load of rags but I found it the cleanest and easiect way, the remaining bits cleaned off with gun cleaner/thinners/de-greaser.

Keep at it, I never thought I would get mine mine finished but I got there in the end after 5 long years.

Mags

Cheers Mags :)
I too am looking to go the EpoxyMastic 121 route also but no chance of spraying anything at the moment - once the weather changes I will remove some of the primer and see what state the metal is like - hopefully will be OK......

I went to Bala and Dolgellau today in a VW Polo (yeh I know!!!)for a break. Sun shone all day. Did you finish the bits 'n' pieces on your bus with this glorious change in the weather? If not....why not!!! Inspirational "feel good" sun factor and all that. Makes you work twice as hard. Next bit of sunshine here in Wales ( probably end of July) i want to be sitting alongside old Billie dub, on the beach with a cold beer in my hand. All the best.

surfbus said:
Great job! But we need an update indeed!
No update :(
Unable to work on the van as have limited movement in my left shoulder and if I move it out of the comfort zone the pain is unbearable......................

Latest posts