Quietest Exhausts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
What's the quietest exhaust for me?

I'm currently running a standard 1600 lump with twin 34s.
I may be moving to a 1641 with twin 34 ICTs and a mild cam upgrade in a couple of months.
Further down the line a 1776 is likely to join the ranks but that's probably 6 months or more away.

My guess is that a stock 'zorst will do me for anything sub 1776 (when it might get restrictive) but want to make sure ;)

Cheers,
George

Hi George .
Vintagespeed I would say, most people ask me this as there 4-1 phatboy type mufflers are too loud at 50 mph.
If you need help with one let me know directly.
Cheers.
Dan.

Whs^
If you want quiet don't get a fat boy!
They look good but are really loud but I wouldn't have it any other way :lol:

anything above stock you will increase the noise levels, Vintage speed are good but equally a twin quiet pack, but neither are what i would call quiet.

An engine is an air pump so more air in and more air out the better they go so as you start to upgrade you will need a better flowing exhaust than a stock, as you say it will be restrictive.

It is possible to have a quiet performance exhaust but it tends to be bigger, heavier and can reduce ground clearance. I built this in stainless and it works a treat - but then changed to a vintage speed because I like a bit more ground clearance and am not fond of the boy racer look.

dont discount a beetle exhaust on a 1776 less restrictive than a bus and pretty good imo

A mate runs a 1775 and had a csp phyton who was to noisy so switched it for a standard beetle exhaust in the same way as i have and the engine was more torquey than with the csp, i noticed the same when i switched my vintage speed to my old beetle exhaust setup!
I mainly switched the the vs as i found it to noisy, liked the looks though.

Dirty Harry said:
A mate runs a 1775 and had a csp phyton who was to noisy so switched it for a standard beetle exhaust in the same way as i have and the engine was more torquey than with the csp, i noticed the same when i switched my vintage speed to my old beetle exhaust setup!
I mainly switched the the vs as i found it to noisy, liked the looks though.

Yes, a bit of back pressure will improve torque on any engine.

A 1776 cc engine will push through around 12% more exhaust gas than a stock 1600.

The stock exhaust was deliberately designed to be quite restrictive which, along with the fan needing exponentially more power as the revs rise and the restrictive stock carb and manifold, meant that a 1600 engine was only producing a bit under 60 bhp.

It was done so that the engine was under stressed which made it reliable, long lasting (for back then) and it could be driven flat out all day on the autobhan without problems.

Essentially, driving a stock beetle engine flat out was the equivalent of driving other 1600cc engines, producing say 90 bhp, at not much more than half throttle.

So to come back to the point of this thread, what exhaust you run will depend a lot on the amount of gas you want to put through it.

If you have a 1776 engine built for torque and rarely run it at more than 4000rpm then you will probably find a beetle exhaust with twin bus pipes will suit your style of driving.

If on the other hand you have a powerful free revving 1776 with say bigger valves and a 110/120 cam then you will need a more free flowing exhaust, otherwise the power will simply fade away at anything much over 4000 rpm.

If you have an engine of 2liters or more then a stock exhaust is hopeless even if its a torque built engine.

The rally beetles of old used what looked like stock exhausts but in fact the baffles had been removed and the tail pipes were considerably wider.

I currently run a beetle 'zorst and find it a bit loud.
Have won a stock exhaust on ebay for very little so might give that a go soon.
If/when I go 1776 I think a VS might be spot on. Heard a good few running them and love the noise outside but might need a ride in one to see what it's like.
I think a bit of soundproofing over the engine bay is on the cards soon to help too.

Thanks for all the great responses 8)

P.S. Trikky, I read your gallery thread again. Any new updates to give? I like what you did with the custom back box but unfortunately ground clearance is something in short supply on my bus :msn4:

gvee said:
P.S. Trikky, I read your gallery thread again. Any new updates to give? I like what you did with the custom back box but unfortunately ground clearance is something in short supply on my bus :msn4:

Hi gvee. Well the home built exhaust worked very well and was nice and quiet but, as you say, the ground clearance was reduced compared to stock.

Not an issue on the road but, since i do like to explore a bit, it meant having to be careful.

This and the boy racer looks of twin stainless boxes hanging under the bumper made me change to a vintage speed. Admittedly the power is a bit down compared to the four into one system.

A tuck away exhaust would have overcome this but being lazy I really didn't fancy the idea of having to remove the exhaust box to be able to do the valve clearances.

Your right, I really ought to update the thread and will try to get round to it soon. Thanks for the reminder :)

Latest posts