Re-Tapping Engine Mount Threads

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
What a fun day....

Removed engine and transmission today, but had a problem with a rounded cv bolt. Anyway, managed to sort that out eventually, by using a Dremel.....

Query is, all 3 of my bolts from moustache bar to casing were all loose. After realising and checking, they all pulled straight out and one is partially snapped off, with the other 2 having worn threads.

This means the casing is going to need re-tapping.

Is it do-able? Any issues over doing it? What's the best way?

I may take to a garage to do, as I've never done one before.

Is something like this any good http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Time-Sert-Thread-Repair-Insert-10-x-1-5-x-24-5mm-p/10155.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody with experience of this would be a big help!

Many thanks.

I've just found the same thing with mine. As the moustache bar is the lowest point it had taken some knocks and pulled away from the engine. On inspection it looks like it had happened before as all three holes in the case had helicoils in them. To fit the helicoils the holes have been drilled and tapped, two to M12 and one to M10, this then retains the standard size M10 and M8 bolts. As two of them were completely knackered i've ended up retaining the one good helicoil with a standard size M10 bolt but just re tapped the other two to M12 and M10 and fitted over size bolts to suit. The holes in the moustache have had to be opened up to suit the new bigger bolts but i bolted it all up last night and it seems fine. Just need to get the moustache shaved a bit now so it doesn't happen again :roll:

Hope this helps,

Mark

markevo30 said:
I've just found the same thing with mine. As the moustache bar is the lowest point it had taken some knocks and pulled away from the engine. On inspection it looks like it had happened before as all three holes in the case had helicoils in them. To fit the helicoils the holes have been drilled and tapped, two to M12 and one to M10, this then retains the standard size M10 and M8 bolts. As two of them were completely knackered i've ended up retaining the one good helicoil with a standard size M10 bolt but just re tapped the other two to M12 and M10 and fitted over size bolts to suit. The holes in the moustache have had to be opened up to suit the new bigger bolts but i bolted it all up last night and it seems fine. Just need to get the moustache shaved a bit now so it doesn't happen again :roll:

Hope this helps,

Mark

Ah, excellent! I'm not the only one then!!!

I think it stems from my gearbox issue, which has been introducing too much shudder/vibration through the engine mount.

Just need to split the transmission from my engine to give me better space, then I can see better how bad it is. Fingers crossed they're not too far gone.

Thanks for your reply mate - appreciated.

Not quite the same but I have helicoiled a couple of exhaust studs on my block for similar reasons and so far they are holding up fine, I've only done about 1000 miles mind you. I bought a kit from Ebay with the correct drill bit, helicoil and insertion tool.

Latest posts