Rear brake cylinders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to change both rear wheel cylinders as they are leaking.

I was going to buy the parts from VW Heritage, just looked them up and the repo ones are £13.75 or the ATE/FTE are £51.60 :shock:

Not sure what to do as i have had a bit of trouble with some of the repo stuff but that's a lot more money. Has anyone got any thoughts on these and in particular the repo ones. do they still last as long etc...

Buy the genuine repro stuff is shite

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/brakes/rear_brake_parts/german_quality_rear_wheel_cylinder_3fslash55-7fslash71_1003/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veewee / gsf do them also
10% off first order at veewee

Shite may be a little bit strong as in a description of repro parts, shite conjurs up an image that it may be usefull later on as fertiliser or perfume or whatever and that it may be natural and good and stuff but it ain`t, there is a members list somewhere on the forum and what you can do is work out how much the repro part is going to cost you in money. now if you take the last digit off of the amount of money the repro part is going to cost you, which is the same as dividing by ten or even ten per cent, So send ten per cent of the amount that the repro part is going to cost you to the first ten members on the members list, and they`ll all say thank you very much which is usually a bit more than what you`ll get from the said above repro part when it`s packed up
A. Within six months
B. Within a week
C. If it lasts all day
D. If it actually works at all
E. If it actually fits :msn4:
F. If it actually turns up :lol:
G. if it`s actually available :shock:

Next time we`ll move onto the next ten members then when we get up to O for Ozziedog, we should be into repro engine territory then my divided by ten bit or ten percent should be millions and millions ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, This time tomorrow Rodney,, we`ll all be squillionaires :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Genuine ATE ones are expensive. If they are not ATE and described only as "German quality" then I doubt they are any better than the cheap ones.

The cheap ones work fine but you do need to dismantle and apply the correct rubber grease to protect the cylinder and piston walls from corrosion. Also use it to seal around the rubber dust cap etc. ten years on and the cheap ones I tried as an experiment are still working fine.

Thanks for replies, thought repo stuff might get the thumbs down as i said before i have had some trouble with it myself.

Interesting What Trikky 2 says about getting cheap ones and taking them apart greasing the seals. (10 years is fine with me)

ozziedog said:
Shite may be a little bit strong as in a description of repro parts, shite conjurs up an image that it may be usefull later on as fertiliser or perfume or whatever and that it may be natural and good and stuff but it ain`t, there is a members list somewhere on the forum and what you can do is work out how much the repro part is going to cost you in money. now if you take the last digit off of the amount of money the repro part is going to cost you, which is the same as dividing by ten or even ten per cent, So send ten per cent of the amount that the repro part is going to cost you to the first ten members on the members list, and they`ll all say thank you very much which is usually a bit more than what you`ll get from the said above repro part when it`s packed up
A. Within six months
B. Within a week
C. If it lasts all day
D. If it actually works at all
E. If it actually fits :msn4:
F. If it actually turns up :lol:
G. if it`s actually available :shock:

Next time we`ll move onto the next ten members then when we get up to O for Ozziedog, we should be into repro engine territory then my divided by ten bit or ten percent should be millions and millions ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, This time tomorrow Rodney,, we`ll all be squillionaires :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

:shock: :lol:

Trikky2 said:
ozziedog said:
Was that about ten years ago though Tricky ???? :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Just sayin :mrgreen:

No comprendi :?:

Hi Trikky, might just be me, but ten years ago I would have gone along with you on this one. Over the last couple of years some of the rubber componants on various things , ball joints etc,, just leave a bit to be desired in terms of durability. At the end of the day it`s brakes and some things I can justify skimping on,, but not brakes. Maybe worth a punt if your are switched on enough to check your fluid regularly and have a little peak at the drums and back plates every week or so or have a real feel for how your bus is performing (or not) etc etc. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ten years is a long time :mrgreen:

I've got a pair on mine from allparts, just whatever they had in stock (mine piddled itself!) - work no problems an dhave done for the past 6 months...

ozziedog said:
Trikky2 said:
ozziedog said:
Was that about ten years ago though Tricky ???? :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Just sayin :mrgreen:

No comprendi :?:

Hi Trikky, might just be me, but ten years ago I would have gone along with you on this one. Over the last couple of years some of the rubber componants on various things , ball joints etc,, just leave a bit to be desired in terms of durability. At the end of the day it`s brakes and some things I can justify skimping on,, but not brakes. Maybe worth a punt if your are switched on enough to check your fluid regularly and have a little peak at the drums and back plates every week or so or have a real feel for how your bus is performing (or not) etc etc. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Ten years is a long time :mrgreen:

Ah, I see what you meant now :)

Yes it's a fair point that the cheap cylinders were from a while back and hence today's might be different. On the other hand I would be surprised if the likes of Heritage and Machine 7 would be selling dodgy parts, so, I would still give the cheaper ones a try.

Admittedly the ATE cylinders will be top quality but when I consider the very limited technology of a simple wheel cylinder I feel the price of £50 plus to be taking the piss, especially when you consider the same brand cylinders for late bays and other vehicles are considerably cheaper.

Custom and commercial have ATE ones at £35.99 each after 10% discount- the 'headline' description is "German Quality" but the detailed one says ATE.

I've just bought a pair.

chad said:
Custom and commercial have ATE ones at £35.99 each after 10% discount- the 'headline' description is "German Quality" but the detailed one says ATE.

I've just bought a pair.

rallye dale said:
Buy the genuine repro stuff is shite

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/brakes/rear_brake_parts/german_quality_rear_wheel_cylinder_3fslash55-7fslash71_1003/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veewee / gsf do them also
10% off first order at veewee

Thanks guys didnt realise the cc ones were ATE. Put the order in :D Thanks for everyones comments and suggestions

chad said:

I've just bought a pair.

Good find :)

if you can still get the varga ones i've been running those for years if you can find them. i try to stay away from the china ones as long as a can.

Must admit I was with the "how bad can repros be" camp - fitted a pair of new "cheap" cylinders 10 days ago because one was leaking - 120 miles later one of the new ones has leaked - so refitted the non-leaking Varga one I removed - here's hoping :)

I learnt the leason the hard way, fitted cheap ones made by 'Brax' from Veewee/GSF and they leaked on the first couple miles, soaking the shoes and ruining our break away.. do it once and do it properly ATE/FAG or possibly Pagid are all I would use same advise with wheel bearings

Latest posts