Rear shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creationblue

Reaction score
What length shocks are you lowered fellas using on the rear? I'm getting banging and thinking the shocks are bottoming out which is feasible as they are standard length. The drive shafts show no sign of hitting the chassis and I don't have bump stops.

I know how to measure for shorter ones but I'm taking the easy (lazy) option of posting here first :mrgreen:

Thanks Just

I have the same problem, see here: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31904&hilit=shocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I came to the same conclusion about the shocks but so far haven't done anything about it :roll:

I am running with horseshoe plates. I was having the same problem plus the drive shaft boots were rubbing on the rails.

Ordered the below from Machine 7. Been sweet ever since

Shock Absorber, Style 2, 265mm Compressed, 420mm Extended, Each (KYB GR2)
305.200.70 2 x £38.50 = £77.00

mattd1984 said:
I am running with horseshoe plates. I was having the same problem plus the drive shaft boots were rubbing on the rails.

Ordered the below from Machine 7. Been sweet ever since

Shock Absorber, Style 2, 265mm Compressed, 420mm Extended, Each (KYB GR2)
305.200.70 2 x £38.50 = £77.00

That's what I have on at the minute, I might need something slightly longer

Interesting reading.................I couldnt see any obvious marks on the drive shafts or chassis rails, I need to have a closer look tho as I know the bump stops are very close too and could be the culprit, cheaper to put some rubber on the stops as an experiment I guess as the shocks looked in good shape.

Thanks for the info, I will report back.

I couldn't see any signs on the driveshaft, rails or bump stops for mine which Is why I think it's the shocks. Been a while since I looked though so I might have to check again......

Had a poke around and nothing obvious, not a lot of room tho

Dont seem to be any signs of a coming together

All I could find was a decorators cork, so cut it and glued it to the plate, then the Mrs came home with the kids..........worth a try but I dont think thats the issue

Alright Just,

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm just starting to think about mine again and can't decide which way to go. Don't really want to go chucking £80+ on something that might not fix it...... I haven't even decided if it's shock too short/long or something else banging :lol:

Well actually I have noticed a new noise from the rear this week, like something is loose, so it's going up on the ramp Saturday for a poke around, hopefully I will have a better idea of the noise(s). I'm pretty sure it's not the shocks , But Ill report back over the weekend

Nice one :) GOing to try and have another look at mine as well if I get time so I'll post back if I find anything

Ok well thanks to Wig & Nick looks like we have sorted out my issues today. There turned out to be a few places that the bump stop cups rubbed on the chassis, notice the half moon shaped where contact was being made

null_zps7fbc9dea.jpg

null_zpsea96891e.jpg

On the other side

null_zps11297842.jpg

So wig modified the offending areas

null_zpsb5ac4f87.jpg

null_zps13d22dcb.jpg

null_zps38c4e49e.jpg

We marked the shock and it was working on its last 25mm of travel and bottoming out, so that was the cause of the banging. So I need to get some short shocks with 360mm (14") in the middle of the travel.

Took the shock off and went for a drive

null_zps74c69108.jpg

Still banged on the otherside, then we recreated it in the lift just to be sure

So Looking here http://www.machine7.com/section.php?xSec=2847" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im gonna get the 304.200.80 which is 300mm compressed 455mm extended, unless anyone else knows of anything better/cheaper........

mychatype3 said:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=50947

Thanks bud but think I may try the cheaper KYBs

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seem a little travel for my height

I know you get what you pay for so are the KYBs that shite?

sparkywig said:
I've got KYBs on the front Just.

If they're good enough for u mate I'm on 'em. Also got nearly 100mm comp to use, best part of that will be gone when loaded up with the trailer on the back.

Cheers mate, thats very helpful. ONly had a chance to look at mine briefly at the weekend before being distracted by a leaking rear cylinder :roll:

Will give it a proper look over later this week when I change the cylinder. I could see a small mark where the CV boot had rubbed but no other signs of thigns coming together

67westy said:
Cheers mate, thats very helpful. ONly had a chance to look at mine briefly at the weekend before being distracted by a leaking rear cylinder :roll:

Will give it a proper look over later this week when I change the cylinder. I could see a small mark where the CV boot had rubbed but no other signs of thigns coming together

Strangely the noise heard in the cab sounds different to the noise the shocks make when the bus was on the ramp with us hanging off the bumper bottoming them out...... if you can get it on the ramp, much easier, tho I would think its the shock you need to look at.

creationblue said:
sparkywig said:
I've got KYBs on the front Just.

If they're good enough for u mate I'm on 'em. Also got nearly 100mm comp to use, best part of that will be gone when loaded up with the trailer on the back.

I was very happy with KRB's instead of what was on there when i re-newed, massive difference for the better. My shocks were knackered though. I have them all round, 1 spline drop at rear and 2.5'' drop spindles at the front.

Thanks for the info.

I'm also not running any snubbers, and notice the shocks bottoming out very occasionally. It's OK for now, but in the future I would like to go a few inches lower which will require some 'c' notches, a mod'ed moustache bar and a Vintage speed exhaust.

Cheers
Jim

Latest posts