Rear shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ordered the KYBs from Machine7 yesterday and they turned up this morning, now that's the kinda service I like!

null_zpsdc5deb93.jpg

So 10mins on the drive

null_zpse960f43c.jpg

So went for a test drive and no more banging! So to conclude, mark your shocks with the bus on its wheels, take off the shock and see how much compression you have before the shock bottoms out, if only 25mm or so then you will need shorter shocks. Set the shock to the line you marked and measure between the mounting points, armed with this info find a set of shocks which accomadate this figure, fit said shocks and forget what a shite ride you had before 8)

Just

Awesome stuff mate, will be taking the measurements on Thursday. So does this allow more compression but the wheel won't drop as far?

I'm guessing this would only help if the bump stop mount doesn't collide first?

Are you running adjustable spring plates and a spline?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yes you have more compression but because the shock is shorter it will mean less chance of taking the wheel off without undoing the bottom shock mount, small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.

I'm running adjustable spring plates, not sure if its 1 or 2 splines down, but do your measurements and you won't go wrong.

Just to point out I removed the bump stops, and I don't see that the bumpstop mount could hit the cup before the drive shaft hits the chassis, so if your that low then you would have bent your shocks by now.

Cool, I'll get measuring then. I'd convinced myself that it was the shock dropping too far so just struggling to get my head round it :) what size did you fit in the end?

Just for comparisons sake, what's your eyelet to eyelet measurement? I'll check mine next time I'm under there and see if we're at the same kinda height. I'm suspecting I'm a bit higher (but want to go lower) as hardly ever bangs. Unlike the front beam...

Cheers
Jim

the_troupster said:
Just for comparisons sake, what's your eyelet to eyelet measurement? I'll check mine next time I'm under there and see if we're a the same kinda height. I'm suspecting I'm a bit higher (but want to go lower) as hardly ever bangs. Unlike the front...

Cheers
Jim
Sounds the opposite to mine :lol: no problems at the front for me now just a noisy back end

67westy said:
Cool, I'll get measuring then. I'd convinced myself that it was the shock dropping too far so just struggling to get my head round it :) what size did you fit in the end?

These here suited me http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

creationblue said:
67westy said:

These here suited me http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=12951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmm same size as what I currently have, guess I need different or they could just be knackered

The measurement of my shocks when the weight was on the wheels was 360mm, so these KYBs offer me nearly 100mm of extra compression, the old set had less that 25mm

creationblue said:
The measurement of my shocks when the weight was on the wheels was 360mm, so these KYBs offer me nearly 100mm of extra compression, the old set had less that 25mm

Thanks for the info. I'm at 390mm. A job for a later date is to drop another spline...

Thanks
Jim

Well my problem is solved :D It was the opposite, the bump stop mount was colliding:

IMAG0774_zps96763cbf.jpg

IMAG0773_zpsf7b4b820.jpg

So I whacked up the spring plates a bit and all noises have disappeared :D did 45 miles yesterday without issue and have a 300mile round trip this weekend which should prove it. I meant to try this months and months ago :roll:

I already had the same GR2 shocks that Just had and they seem to work a treat now. I guess the bit of extra travel allows it to damp enough to stop the collisions.

Cheers for all the help, as a bonus i can still (just) fit it in the garage!

Latest posts