Reconditioned Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Reaction score
I'm after a reconditioned long block and was wondering if anyone has had one from The Engine Shop. I'm thinking about getting the standard single port silver engine for £799 as my block has seen better days and both my heads have cracked between the valves.

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211100033AX/engine-t2-1600cc-single-port-200mm-12v-fly-ssp/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I cant comment on their engines but I would look very carefully at what is and isnt reconditioned, not all reconditoned engines are the same, you need to compare specs as well as prices.

The old adage of you pay for what you get is pretty apt.

Bought one from them once years ago and it was OK- but I ran it lean and cooked it. That was my fault. TES were fine with repairing it within warranty.

I wasn't happy with Tuffnells, who couriered for them last time I used the. bloke didn't have anyone to help him unload so just pushed the engine off the back of the lorry.

remember that a lot of the problems you'll hear being caused by engines are often actually caused by poor setup. So whichever you go for, get the timing checked statically and with a strobe, get the dwell/points gap (if using points) set with a dwell meter-not a feeler gauge- and the carb set up with a CO meter, not just by ear.

Latest posts